Help Cake Fell Over And Now I Have To Fix It

Decorating By DisneyDreamer Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:37am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 16

okay a lady i know is having a baby shower i told her i would do the cake for free. as my gift to her. its a 9x13 bottom with a 8in and a 6in on top it was pirate themed for 80 pp. i air brushed the bottom with waves and the 8in had a rattel crossbone type thing then the top was a kute pirate. the hubby comes to pick it up hes on the phone never said two words to me i hand him the cake keep asking if he has it he gets off the phone almost drops the cake then about 20 mins after i gave him the cake i get a call it fell over i ask where he had it sitting and he said on the center concel. wtf??? who does that he just called again and said it slid off the back and the bottom cake is broken i dont know what to do i feel horrable!!!!!!! what can i do i dont have time to make another and this cake went to there house tonight about 2 mon away and has to be brought back to a house for the party like ten min from my house!!!!! any help would be great

15 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 16

Please try to post a picture so we can see how bad it is. Hopefully when it slid off it stayed in one piece which would make it easier to fix.

DisneyDreamer Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:07am
post #3 of 16

first of lets go red soxs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont know what it looks like now and wont know till i get iver there at 8am on my one day off icon_sad.gif he said the whole bottem split in haft ya cuz the top two fell backwards and put weight on the bottom but here is a pre pic its in my photos

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:07am
post #4 of 16

Believe me, I truly work hard at accomodating people, but you're not responsible. If it were me, I'd do as much frosting work as I can, but no new cake and other orders have to come first. You are doing the cake for free to begin with, you can't lose more money on it.

DisneyDreamer Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew4children

Believe me, I truly work hard at accomodating people, but you're not responsible. If it were me, I'd do as much frosting work as I can, but no new cake and other orders have to come first. You are doing the cake for free to begin with, you can't lose more money on it.

thank you i needed that so bad i feel so so so so so bad idk what to do. i cant gule the bottom back with icing. should i just try to save the top and have them put the bottom aside??? the back is smached!!! i so just want to cry

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:07am
post #6 of 16

You are a saint for being willing to fix it. I have no idea why you feel bad when he was very negligent in trasportating the cake. I mean you really are a saint. They would have to pay me to come fix that cake...even if they paid for it. I need to see what happened to it, but you might be right for them to scrap the bottom and serve the top.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 16

I would've had dh bring it back at first call. Relayed to the person receiving it that there was an accident with it and it needed to be fixed and if you could get directions, you could deliver it to the shower tomorrow.

That looks like whipped icing too. Is it?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #8 of 16

was that your hubby or their hubby?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 6:32am
post #9 of 16

This cake destruction was not your fault, it was due to the stupidity of that husband.

After a cake I created is handed over to a client, it is no longer my responsibility.

I say this to each and every person who gets a cake from me, free cake or paid for. They are responsible for keeping it in one piece until it is served and I advise them to not speed or slam on the brakes, to keep it cool and out of the sun, to put it on a flat surface but never in the trunk.

If they don't listen, their emergency is not my problem. Especially for a free cake.

Of course, for a paid cake, I'd be willing to discuss a fee for repair.

DisneyDreamer Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 16

1) it was her hubby

2) he wouldnt come back he was almost home and first asked how to fix it cuz it fell back wards well by the time he was home ya the bottom split from the weight

3) yes its a wipped topping and air brushed to boot so what a bitch to fix

4) i could give no instructions because he was on the phone

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 16

And this is why I always put the car in the car for the customer, and specific where in the car it goes.

Sounds like it's wrecked, but serving the top two tiers sounds like the best solution.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 16

Ditto leah_s - I do the same thing. Carry it out, put it in the car, give instructions about turning corners, starting/stopping the car, etc. So far, so good.

As for your cake - that guy put it on the center console? Who does that w/ a 3-tiered cake?? Only a husband...I had that happen last week with a small 6" round. The husband came and picked up the 36 cupcakes and 6" cake, put them in the truck and took off. The bag of ice he had in the front seat slid off and landed on the cake at a stop light. Oops. Luckily, I never got a phone call, they knew whose fault it was!!

Same thing with your cake - not. your. fault.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #13 of 16

I also usually go out and put the cake in the car for the customer...I will also prop it to where its level or do what I have to do to make sure its secure. Believe me, people have NO clue how to do that (some of them anyway)! Alot of people will put a cake on their seat...which means the cake is going to be jostling at a 30 degree angle (or so) for however long they are on the road...its just asking for it to topple!

DisneyDreamer Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 16

i should of taken it to the car my falt. but he was on the phone the whole time

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 16

I have a sedan type car~~I keep a roll of paper towels in there so I can use it to level the front seat--just set a half sheet pan on there--or the cake box--

If I had customers, I'd keep extra paper towels on hand to sell to them to level out their front seats for deliveries.

I always say, drive like there's a raw egg on the dashboard that you don't want to roll off & crack.

Random disaster hopefully averted ideas for you.

Reminds me of the time the guy picked up a frog character pan cake that was in a half sheet cake box--in one swift motion --while our jaws dropped & no words would come out--he put it under his one arm like a football opened the door with his other arm -- marched out & we never heard from him again. We figure his wife killed him. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Reminds me of the time the guy picked up a frog character pan cake that was in a half sheet cake box--in one swift motion --while our jaws dropped & no words would come out--he put it under his one arm like a football opened the door with his other arm -- marched out & we never heard from him again. We figure his wife killed him. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif OMG! What a moron!

This is absolutely not your fault! He's a moron, too.

Next time (if there is a next time), don't let anyone leave without giving them complete instructions. Even if they arrive 'on the phone', stand there, arms crossed, and wait. Look at your watch, and wait. Drum fingers on table/counter, and wait. If they stop talking on the phone long enough to say "Give me the cake", say, "Can't. Need your FULL attention." Eventually, they'll get the hint and hang up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%