Egg White Powder And Meringue Powder

Decorating By swapnilgupta Updated 21 Oct 2016 , 6:20pm by Sugarflowers

swapnilgupta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swapnilgupta Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 12

Hi,

Are egg white powder and meringue powder the same thing.?CAn we use them interchangeably....for frostings/icings....
Can we make meringue powder from egg white powder....
ANly help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
Swapnil

11 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 12

They are interchangable. To me powdered egg whites taste better. It also isn't grainy like meringue powder.

HTH

Michele

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 12

merinque and egg whites is the same thing....how is it anything else?

Sugarflowers Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

merinque and egg whites is the same thing....how is it anything else?

Well... meringue powder has corn starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, silicon dioxide, and artificial flavor. Powdered egg whites don't have these ingredients.

This does mean that they are not interchangable. However, the flavors are different and the use of either is a matter of preference.

Michele

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 12

Now I am curious, I will have to check my container and see whats in there..icon_smile.gif

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 12

I just finished a course in Lambeth and Australian methods with Mark Seaman in Chicago. He uses and recommends the egg white powder when doing very fine piping as it doesn't plug the tips with the tiniest openings as much. He explained the cornstarch in the meringue can cause this problem when using 0 and 00 tips. Plus he says it doesn't yellow with age like fresh egg whites can do once it's hardened.

Claire1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire1977 Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you for this info  does anyone have a good string work recipe?

thank you 

Sugarflowers Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 12

What I use only takes egg whites and powdered sugar. The amount of powdered sugar varies on the size of the eggs/whites and how much Royal icing you want. 

Whip the egg white(s) until very soft.  Start adding powdered sugar in small amounts until you get the consistency that you want.  The peak should be soft and curl over while the frosting stands.

One major step is to strain your frosting through a clean knee high hose into your preparedpiping bag.  The smallest lump will clog your tip.

These are things that I do.  I hope it helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2016 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 12

..........One major step is to strain your frosting through a clean knee high hose into your preparedpiping bag.  The smallest lump will clog your tip...........

I found a good way to strain the icing is to put the knee hi on your hand like a glove.  Fill your palm w/the icing and pull the stocking off your hand by turning the top down over the icing so its inside the hose.  Now push the icing down/thru the hose.

Sugarflowers Posted 20 Oct 2016 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks!  That's a great idea  

Claire1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire1977 Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 12

I have read a bit that if you add tylose/CMC powder to the royal icing this will help for australian stringwork - I am struggling to find a recipe. 

thank you for the tip about the stocking and royal icing!

Sugarflowers Posted 21 Oct 2016 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 12

Tylose can help strengthen royal icing for stringwork.  I have used Gum Arabic with good results.  It takes about a 1/2 tsp of any of the powders in a single batch of icing to add strength and to add a bit of stretch. 

Be patient, clean your tip after 2-3 strings, and be prepared to redo your work.  My favorite tool is actually a clay tool that has a curved blade on one end and a quill on the other.  The curved blade quickly cleans dropped strings and the quill picks up drops strings once the spaces are too small for the curved blade.  It leaves no damage to the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%