So Not Happy :(

Decorating By idoteech Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 11:04am by Lovemesomecake

idoteech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoteech Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 10

icon_mad.gif So I made a cake for a 5 yr. old's birthday and used fondant (Fondarific I might add). I worked countless hours on it. The girl told me through an email that no one liked the fondant. Fine. I get that. But what REALLY made me mad is that she posts a pic of the cake on her facebook and puts "Pretty cake..just not tasty." That just makes ME look bad. I cannot help that some people don't like the texture of fondant. I want to ask her to take it off there, but I don't want to be rude.

Sorry to vent...

Eva

9 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 10

What kind of fondant did you use? Did you make MMF, buy the Wilton kind? I know that when I used to use the wilton I'd get those comments...that the cake was good but the fondant takes horrible. Use to really really get me down. Now I make my own MMF and have learned to add clear flavoring as well and all I get is compliments on the fondant.

Having said all that, it was SO wrong of her to put that up there. Some people just can't seperate the cake from the covering. SIGH.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 10

Uh, I wouldn't hesitate to ask her to take that comment off (especially if she is a friend or family member) - or at the VERY least modify it to reflect that the FONDANT THAT WAS NOT MADE BY THE BAKER didn't taste good. I'm assuming she liked the actual cake...

This is why I tell clients who have not tasted fondant, that even though they want the fondant for looks, they may not like the taste. Usually they want to sample the fondant. If they don't like it, at least they won't be shocked by the taste/texture later.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 10

Fondant is not a big thing in my area. But everyone watches tv and wants whats on there.So I ask if they have ever had fondant. I tell them you must chew it and it is very diffrent. But they can just peel it off and enjoy the buttercream underneath. So far people have been satisfied. I like fondant and my kids love it. but some people just can't get past the chew factor.

I would explain to her and have her pull the comment.

idoteech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoteech Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 10

It was Fondarific fondant. I wouldn't use Wilton's to save my life. I did ask her to remove the comments and she did. It is just really frustrating...of course, anything dealing with people can be frustrating. I should know this from being a Jr. High Math teacher for 13 years. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for letting me vent.
Eva

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 10

When it comes to fondant let people know that they may not like it, but it may be neccessary to use to achieve the look they want. Tell them to just SCRAPE off the fondant. I am really irritated by the stupidity of this person. So she is gonna say it taste bad, cause of the fondant?! Don't fricken eat it. I swear! icon_rolleyes.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10

Not everyone likes fondant. And it isn't even the taste. It's the texture.
I don't expect everyone to eat it either. When asked I say some people don't like it and you don't have to eat it. But once my mom couldn't keep her gums from flapping too much and proclaimed that I made everything dairy free and you don't eat the fondant it's yucky while I was presenting a cake to our family. She had tasted a little bit of fondant by it's self when I was making it and said it was good but she didn't think she'd like it on cake as we are all used to butter cream. She still insists she didn't say that. And it just rubbed me the wrong way and it was my own mom for goodness sakes. I know how you feel. Sometimes people don't consider how things could be taken other then what they are thinking. She didn't mean it like that but that's how it came out. They didn't even want to taste the cake because it was dairy free and couldn't possibly taste good since she had said don't eat the fondant. UHG! Sorry this happened to you.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 10

Honestly, I'd be really mad that she would post that but you can't really do anything. Maybe she just doesn't really like the taste of Fondant that many others think tastes good.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #9 of 10

Fondarific is supposed to be tasty (AND expensive!!!) You used a quality product and spent many hours on the cake - her thoughtless comment is just beyond belieficon_sad.gif I myself am ok with the taste of the mmf I work with but not a fan of the taste of fondant compared to buttercream or whipped cream frostings (although I absolutely love decorating with mmf) so I just peel it off - takes two bleepin seconds and then there's a nice thin layer of buttercream underneath to still make it tasty.

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 11:04am
post #10 of 10

That is such a RUDE thing to post on Facebook!! After all your hard work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%