Help Me Recreate This Cake!

Decorating By eatCakes Updated 13 Oct 2009 , 2:59pm by cownsj

eatCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatCakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 21

My wonderful in-laws just celebrated their 30th Wedding Anniversary, and on Sunday we are throwing them a surprise party. I'm in the charge of the cake, and I want to recreate their original wedding cake- the top tier at least. The thing that's giving me a big icon_confused.gif look on my face is the border. The top is cornelli lace, I get that- but can someone tell me how to achieve this border? Something just looks *different* about it. I would greatly appreciate it, and I can't wait to post pics of the finished reproduction!
LL

20 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 21

it looks like overpiping, where you would pipe one swirl all the way around and then come back and pipe over that same line again making it stand out more from the cake and continue until it's as thick as you'd like. I think usually it's done with royal icing. VERY cool looking!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 21

To me, it looks like just a big 'ole shell border, stretched out. A sideways "S".

Similar to the top border on this cake, only with a smaller tip and stretched out more: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1006073

I'd do it with a shell tip in BC.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 21

I agree with KHalstead (sorry, Debbi icon_sad.gif ). icon_wink.gif It looks like it was done the same was as bridges for extension work using royal icing.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 21

I found this tutorial online after looking at her cake here. She explains this quite well. Hope she doen't mind me posting this off her website.
http://www.sifbeth.dk/indexen.html and then go to the tutorial and look for the Lambeth one

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 21

That's it, that's the stuff!! Man decorators really had their work cut out for them years ago!! That stuff gives me a headache!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 21

That tutorial really looks like it. And it's incredible.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 21

Actually, I am with Indydebi this time. I did enlarge the picture. It wasn't completely clear, but surely looks like simple S border. The edge isn't crisp, but looks more like the corner was taken off and something looks like this: /-\\ , where "/" is the side of cake and "\\" the top. On the "-" is piped the S scroll.

But the same look, although with more work, can be archived through overpiping.

Either way, good luck to you!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 21

My first thought when I saw the cake was that it was some Lambeth technique. After seeing the tutorial that definitely looks like what was done on the cake.

Good luck and post a photo of your finished cake!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 21

I am no expert so I don't know how it is done - but I do like the tutorials by Sifbeth. Thanks for the link Donnagardner!!

eatCakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #11 of 21

Awesome, thank you all so much! That is what I actually suspected it was, after finding another thread about the Lambeth technique last night!!! Thanks for that tutorial, I am very excited to make this cake, and then to try another more detailed one! icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #12 of 21

Looks like royal with over piping to me too.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #13 of 21

Donnagardner.......yes that looks like it.......it says royal icing woth medium thickness

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 21

Just wanted to add that it is definately overpiping. You can see it at the profile - it starts with a thick base and goes thinner and thinner. A thick shell border would have a rounded profile, this does not.

(and thanks for posting my website, I hope it gets ya'll lambeth-hooked icon_lol.gif )

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 8:04pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gefion

Just wanted to add that it is definately overpiping. You can see it at the profile - it starts with a thick base and goes thinner and thinner. A thick shell border would have a rounded profile, this does not.

(and thanks for posting my website, I hope it gets ya'll lambeth-hooked icon_lol.gif )

Your work is great thanks for the tutorials.

eatCakes Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 21

Okay well I decided to change up the design of theirs just a teensy bit, and I did use the tutorial with a few changes. icon_smile.gif I just uploaded the pics!

I absolutely love how it turned out- the only thing I didn't like was that I forgot to cover my cake board! icon_redface.gif My IL's LOVED the cake and were completely surprised by the party, so I'm pretty proud.

cownsj Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 21

Congratulations. And I'll bet they were more than a little surprised. That is such a special gift for them.
Do we get to see a picture of the finished cake?

eatCakes Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #18 of 21

Yep, it's in my photos... I'll post one pic here but if it messes up I apologize! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #19 of 21

that cake is great! They should feel so loved that you took all the time to recreate their cake.

Thanks for the link. I have enjoyed it so much! Thanks for the tutorials and everything!

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:58am
post #20 of 21

Wow! It looks great!

cownsj Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:59pm
post #21 of 21

Beautiful. It looks just like their cake. well..... ok, so yours looks more polished, cleaner looking. You really did an outstanding job. Thank you for posting the picture. I am impressed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%