Refrigerating Fondant?? Help Please!!!

Decorating By Lauren251 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 7:11am by Rylan

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 6

I need to fill a cake with a cream cheese filling, I am covering it in mm fondant. Does this need to be refrigerated??

If so how do I acheive this without having it sweat and if I give it to someone what advice can I give them about storing the cake. I don't want the cream cheese to spoil since it is dairy. Please help?!?!

Thank you

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 6

Hi Lauren,

I believe there is a cream cheese frosting recipe that doesn't require refrigeration but if you are unsure, I suggest you refrigerate it.

I always refrigerate my fondant covered cakes and never had a problem sweating.

If you do have problems, just let it evaporate and avoid touching it.

It is also best to just put the decorations later on (I usually just put it with no problems) because if you do get condensation, it may affect it.

Lauren251 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 6

Rylan thank you for replying but I have a few questions.

One do I need to cover it if I refridgerate it?
Two how long should I take it out and let it sit for to bring it to room temp?I'm really scared to refridgerate it and ruin it especially if it is for someone?
Also do you know the recipe for the cream cheese filling that does not have to be refridgerated I would love to do that but am not familiar with it.

Thanks again

Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 6

1. I cover mines all the time (only because I never get condensation) but I suggest you don't cover it because once condensation happens inside the fridge, the moisture will be trapped into the plastic wrap and then the water will drip to your cake and melt your fondant.

2. It depends. I've had a cake sitting on the counter for about 6 hours and it hasn't fully came to room temperature but sometimes 2 hours would work. It really depends on how big the cake is, how cold the fridge is and the temperature inside the house.

3. I'm not familiar with it either. I'm not sure but I think it is Earlene Moore's recipe. I'm really not sure because all I use is the crusting cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com.

Good luck.

Lauren251 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:07am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much Rylan. I looked up earlene moore and found the recipe hopefully it will work. The only thing I dont have that the recipe calls for is something called Butavan... which i have really no idea what or where to find it without ordering it online :/

But thank you again for your help

Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 7:11am
post #6 of 6

I'm not sure what Butavan is but I think it is just a flavoring. With flavorings, you can substitute anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%