Convection Oven Help Needed

Decorating By kansaslaura Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 3:36am by kansaslaura

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:06am
post #1 of 4

I just started baking in a large convection oven. My bread turns out beautifully, but the one and only cake I've done it in was a flop. I'd love to hear from others using convection ovens and the adjustments you've made to get great cakes.

3 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 4

Turn the heat down (in a home oven to 300- 325) in a commercial one 275. Put a small pan of water in the bottom of the oven to help keep the top of the cakes from drying out. Don't bake quite as long. Hope these help!

kristiezen920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiezen920 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 4

kansaslaura,
I am having trouble in my convection oven too...I thought it was me! Every cake I cook in there shrinks terribly. Then when I take it out it shrinks even more. I dont know what Im doing wrong. It lowers the temp automatically so that cant be it. Is this whats going on with you too?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #4 of 4

I've only baked one cake in mine so far and it was NOT a good result. Toothpic came out clean, it was only 1/2 as high as usual and heavy as a brick. It does cookies beautifully, bread wonderfully--I'll try adding the water in a pan and knocking down the temp another 25 degrees. I had set it back to 300.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%