How Do I Store Unused Gumpaste?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 9 Oct 2009 , 12:42am by Rylan

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 5

i've been saving my unused colored gumpaste to mix together to make black like i've read many times, but when i went to finally do it, it was rock hard.

i kept it in the wilton bag it came in but the zipper thing was broke, so i put it all in a ziploc baggie and it was still hard. any suggestions on what i should do next time?

thanks all.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 5

Wrap it in plastic wrap or press and seal, then store in a ziplock.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:14am
post #3 of 5

I do what Texas_Rose does - wrap tighttighttight before putting into a ziploc. Even when I have tiny, marble-sized pieces.

If it still hardens up after being tightly wrapped, try nuking it in the micro before using. It may surprise you and actually soften back up - saw this tip on Flickr and I'm pretty sure it was for gp, not just fondant.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #4 of 5

i'll try the microwaving. i just did that for some fondant i made a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm, but it wasn't nearly as hard as the GP... still workable.

thanks for the tips!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 5

Oh yes, try microwaving it like ceshell suggested. Keep kneading it until pliable.

There is a tutorial on that on the tutorial thread. Go to the website links on the bottom and check out "sugarteachers" or something like that. Check the tutorials and its there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%