Crusting Buttercream Only?

Decorating By MissSassyBuns Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm by __Jamie__

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I am new to cake decorating and cake central (I'm already in love and addicted to cc!) so, hello to everyone here! icon_smile.gif

My question is about buttercream: to crust or not to crust! icon_biggrin.gif I watch all of the cake shows you could possibly watch and I just noticed that whenever the pros crumb coat their cakes before covering in fondant, the buttercream is always white. It got me thinking that they are only using a crusting buttercream (which, I gather from the forums involves shortening or a combo of shortening with butter). Sooooo....do you only crumb coat cakes with a crusting buttercream before covering with fondant? Or can you use IMBC or SMBC, etc?

I am going to attempt making my niece a teacup cake (she's having a princess tea party for her 3rd bday!) and I want to make sure I use the correct ingredients before covering in fondant.

Thanks so much for the help!

6 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 7

I like using a crusting buttercream for several reasons. I think it holds up better under fondant (which can get pretty heavy) because it's firm. The main reason I like it is because I have very bad aim. After rolling out the fondant, it's difficult to lift it up and plop it centered well enough so all of the cake is covered. I can't tell you how many times I've missed and had to reset it. If you covered the cake in non-crusting icing (e.g. store-bought tub frosting), there is NO turning back once you've placed your fondant. Non-crusting icing will stick to fondant immediately, and if you try to pick it up again, you chance pulling up icing AND CAKE. Using crusting BC and piping gel also reduces the risk of breaking down your fondant (which is allergic to moisture and fat).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

My guess people use under their fondant what they normally would use, and for some that is crusting and others it is non crusting.

Crusting and non crusting icing is usually picked because of taste and how they like to smooth it.

Non crusting icings are the cooked icings that have a different texture and are usually less sweet than buttercream made with powder sugar and butter/crisco.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 7

That's not true metria. I put my fondant over SMBC, but I always work with a well chilled cake. I don't mess around with putting fondant on top of soft icing.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 7

Yup, I only use IMBC and it is fine covered in fondant. And like TexasSugar said, this is very much a personal preference thing.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds like any kind is ok as long as it can firm up? Either by crusting or chilling?

I've been afraid to try IMBC on cakes that I want to adorn with fondant on the sides (not covering, just decorating with) because I thought the fondant pieces would slide down as the icing gets soft after the cake spent some time on display. Does anyone know if this actually happens?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 7

The cake with the G and the three tier with the black and white monogram were both SMBC. And not light (as in weight) monograms either. Just plunked on the side. Did just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%