Quick Help Stacking An Imbc Cake.............

Decorating By debster Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm by Kerry_Kake

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 8

Ok I never stacked one of these before, is there anything that you do to keep the boards from pulling off the top layer of icing when they undo the cake? I just went to mark a layer and used the pan for a guide and when I lifted it up all the icing came up and I wondered if that's gonna happen when they go to cut the cake? Thanks

This is my second and last one of these cakes, I hate making that icing.

7 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 8

I have never done this but I think I read somewhere on here that people sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or coconut.HTH

debster Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I'll try that, The recipe I use for my buttercream nothing sticks to it.

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Thanks I'll try that, The recipe I use for my buttercream nothing sticks to it.

I use a crusting buttercream and when I take the top tier off it always pulls some of the icing off. Do you cover your cardboard circle with anything to prevent this? Maybe I should try the sprinkle of powdered sugar. My fondant does the same when being pulled off.

debster Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 8

kerry-cake...............no I use a crusting buttercream and let it sit up good and when I put my boards on I put the white side down and when I lift it up no icing comes with it, just works for me. The IMBC is what I HATE!!!!! If I had to try anything it would be the powder sugar cause some people do not like coconut.

Kerry_Kake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

kerry-cake...............no I use a crusting buttercream and let it sit up good and when I put my boards on I put the white side down and when I lift it up no icing comes with it, just works for me..

OMG....have I been doing it wrong? icon_redface.gif I always put the white part so it's touching my cake.

debster Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 8

I double my boards and put the brown parts together , so one white is touching bottom cake and one white is touching top cake. Sorry for not making that clear.

Kerry_Kake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

Ok, I'll have to try that, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%