How Do I Choose Fillings For Fondant Cakes?

Decorating By CakeyThings Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm by CakeyThings

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone, this may be a repeat question but I'm still a newbie

I've made a few cakes now and I'm always terrified to fill them with fillings that use stuff with dairy ingredients. Since I've been working with fondant, I can't refrigerate the cakes.....what fillings do you guys recommend for cakes that can't be refrigerated....and how long can they stay out ?

i also plan to make a few cakes when I go home (Trinidad) and it's HOT there so food spoilage really scares me with cakes being left out....

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:03am
post #2 of 9

Hi there, most of my cakes are filled buttercream and jam. For chocolate, I use ganache mixed into my normal butercream. And the shelf life is 7 days.

But I know ther are decorators who put their fondant covered cakes in the fridge. When you take the cake out to thaw, you shouldn't touch it. Let it come to room temperature.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:31am
post #3 of 9

You can refrigerate fondant cakes... I work in fondant 99% of the time (I use Satin Ice) and I refrigerate ALL of my cakes (my fillings require it) and I have never had a problem.

When the weather is very hot and humid, have the air condition cranking when you take the cake out. If the cake starts to sweat just leave it alone until it comes to temperature (you can even put a fan on it). Otherwise, I actually prefer to work with the cakes cold.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 9

Bashini - what are your proportions for the ganach and buttercream. I have not filled a fondant cake yet and am anxious to try.

Pink ziab - I haver never worked with Santin Fondant before. I usually use MMF. What do you like about Satin.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 9

I work always with fondant, and i dont refrigerate. Although recently, i have taken to putting my cakes in the fridge before covering with fondant, its easier to cover but you have to work quicker otherwise it goes sticky. But once its on, you just leave it and dont touch it. usually i would never have done it this way but it works well for me. My choice of fillings are usually buttercream/jam/Ganash, ive never had a single request for anything fresh or diary.

bashini Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1959

Bashini - what are your proportions for the ganach and buttercream. I have not filled a fondant cake yet and am anxious to try.

Well, I don't have a specific ratio for ganache and buttercream. But I make my buttercream with 500g butter and 1kg of powdered sugar. And the ganache is 1:2 ratio of cream and chocolate. That is 100ml of cream to 200g chocolate. First I add half of the ganache to the buttercream and taste it. If I think that it needs to be chocolaty, then I add half from that.

HTh. icon_smile.gif

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for your help

bashini Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 9

No problem! Happy to help. icon_smile.gif

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help...I like that ppl have refrigerated fondant and been ok....i will try it out and see on a practice cake...... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%