Is This A Scam?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm by Jackie

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #31 of 76

I don't know why ANY of else go through the trouble of considering orders from people overseas off the internet, and then wondering if it's a scam. It's always a scam. I have yet for someone to come on here and say,"Yeah, I got this $2500 order off the internet from someone in Africa. It was great!" I'm assuming the scammers are gonna get smarter, getting more info., trying to sound more legit once people start questioning them more often on their orders. And even on the lottery chance that it isn't a scam, I would rather play it safe, then sorry and deal with my client in person.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:12pm
post #32 of 76

You don't have to lie, you could just say, "Due to the prevalence of international credit card fraud, I must have the money sent Western Union by 10/8/09 to book your cake."

Most people would be a little leery to be emailing their credit card #. Email is so not secured.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:14pm
post #33 of 76

True....

I have, however, had genuine brides arrange a wedding cake from several states away....

But yes, overseas, with a credit card number offered up front...I won't write back I guess.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #34 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

You don't have to lie, you could just say, "Due to the prevalence of international credit card fraud, I must have the money sent Western Union by 10/8/09 to book your cake."

Most people would be a little leery to be emailing their credit card #. Email is so not secured.

I thought Western Union was easily frauded?

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #35 of 76

Yes, Western Union has been used for fraud.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #36 of 76

You could always just send her an email and ask her straight up if this is a legitimate order that it is quite unusual and you need cash wired to you since it's an international request. If she's genuine, you'll get your cash. If you don't hear back from her you'll have your answer quickly.

OR...tell you you don't accept credit cards icon_lol.gif

Then to double check, find out where the wedding is going to be, give the facility a call and express your concerns after asking for verification of date, time, etc.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:22pm
post #37 of 76

Ok. I wrote her back saying I don't work internationally due to the prevalence of credit card fraud, and said if the bride would like to contact me personally and pay the balance in cash, as well as establish the cake and delivery details, that would be great...and thanked her.

We'll see! Thanks for all your input!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #38 of 76

Cash up front or cashier's check. Sounds fishy. Sadly many of the scams I've encountered come from African countries and the West Indies.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #39 of 76

The biggest red flag is that she offered the cc number in an email.
I live overseas, and do an incredible amount of purchasing (both goods and services) on the internet. However, I would never give my cc number in an unsecured environment (nor would any other ex-pat I know).

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:33pm
post #40 of 76

Ok, you can actually test her to see if it's legit and get paid if it is. AmEx has a wire transfer program. She would have to initiate the transfer and you could confirm payment. Or you can have funds wired directly to your account. Here is a site with info on it:
http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/int/fxip/fxinternationalpayments/foreignpaymentsolutions.do?vgnextoid=ffc32027eaafc110VgnVCM200000d0faad94RCRD

Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Ok, you can actually test her to see if it's legit and get paid if it is. AmEx has a wire transfer program. She would have to initiate the transfer and you could confirm payment. Or you can have funds wired directly to your account. Here is a site with info on it:
http://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/int/fxip/fxinternationalpayments/foreignpaymentsolutions.do?vgnextoid=ffc32027eaafc110VgnVCM200000d0faad94RCRD

Thanks...I saved that info...if she replies to my email insisting she is honest, that will be my next step.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #42 of 76

Are you getting a contract signed for this cake?

Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:52pm
post #43 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Are you getting a contract signed for this cake?

I usually do that once a deposit is paid but she wanted to pay it all in advance.

I don't think she'll keep pursuing it with me...if she does...I'll go from there.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #44 of 76

Kitagrl, you definitely did the right thing. If she is a legit customer she will completely understand your concern, and she will also respect that you are looking out for HER. How would she feel if someone stole HER credit card and you charged hundreds of dollars on it without batting an eyelash? As a consumer she will appreciate your interest in making sure it's all legit. It cracks me up when *after the fact* people are like, "Did it NOT make you suspicious when she emailed a complete stranger her credit card number like it was nothing? WHY would you trust that??!!" At least you have the presence of mind to be concerned!!

And if she's not legit, who give a rats fanny, right? Hehehe.

And you know, my impulse reaction if I had already said I had that date open would be to write her back and go, "OMG, I misread that, I thought you were booking for NEXT year! I have THAT date open, but not THIS year. That's only a few weeks away, etc. etc. blah blah blah." dunce.gif I'd have played *stooopid* to the Nth degree! I'm cool like that! icon_rolleyes.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:41pm
post #45 of 76

Google the credit card number.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 9:47pm
post #46 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Google the credit card number.

icon_surprised.gif Can you do that?!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #47 of 76

I did a Yahoo People Search and did actually come up with that name at that address:

**edited**

Her email is her name @ norsac.com. Oh...but when I hit reply, its "zenyak.com"

I guess its *possible* its for real...but as someone mentioned, it could also be a very good scam.

I did find on that .gov site that there are diplomats that live at the street address of the country they visit...or so it seemed...

If she is real she will understand, like someone above said, and try to work this out.

__Jamie__ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #48 of 76

Ya know, I had on idea, it sounded good, since I am the Queen of Google, I figured why not? Maybe there is a list of fake numbers out there?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 10:13pm
post #49 of 76

This is an interesting thread, but as I'm reading it my first thought is that if this is indeed a real person and a legitimate order, you probably shouldn't have posted her real name and address on here.

Maybe you should have a moderator delete this one just to be sure.

Oh and Jamie is the Google Queen, if it stays still long enough, she'll Google it! icon_lol.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #51 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

This is an interesting thread, but as I'm reading it my first thought is that if this is indeed a real person and a legitimate order, you probably shouldn't have posted her real name and address on here.

Maybe you should have a moderator delete this one just to be sure.

I totally agree about that. If she is for real, this thread is a huge invasion of privacy.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #52 of 76

I didn't put any of her personal information on this thread. Oh except the yahoo link, which I will delete now.

There were several of her names on the people search, so other than the yahoo link I have been careful to keep it private, including her email.

BTW she has not replied....but I'll give her more time since time difference.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #53 of 76

have you talked on the phone? scammers are not fond of talking on the phone.

it sounds a lot like the scammer who contacted me....

it starts getting more and more complicated.....

sorry this happened it really sux.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #54 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

have you talked on the phone? scammers are not fond of talking on the phone.

it sounds a lot like the scammer who contacted me....

it starts getting more and more complicated.....

sorry this happened it really sux.

Do you have a thread on it, or do you mind PMing me what happened?

littlecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #55 of 76

PM sent!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Oh except the yahoo link, which I will delete now.

thumbs_up.gif

Still, I hope everything works out ok. If it is all legit, maybe it will turn out to be a nice experience, and if it is bogus, then good for you for keeping up your guard!

littlecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #57 of 76

you can do a reverse lookup for the phone # and see who's name it's under.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #58 of 76

Okay I got two emails today.

One from the customer sent from her iphone saying she understood and wondering if she could send an electronic check from her bank, which is "USAA". She just needs my name and address for that. I don't know anything about e-checks....does that show her as valid?

Also got an email from the gov't worker I emailed...he said he knew a lady by that first name but not the last name...he wondered if it was a maiden name...but said the lady he knew moved to Congo. So I guess its not the same one.

I'm just not sure what to do....

littlecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #59 of 76

who is picking the cake up?...or are you supposed to deliver it?

the scam usually is overpayment, and they want you to pay someone back, westrn union.

this is so sad, because of all the scams, it's hard to tell.

i wonder why she is planning someones wedding from africa?...it just seems odd.

did she say where the reception will be? is it local? usually the reception of scammers is far away, and they need someone to pick it up...of course the shipper never comes, thats after you send them the balance ove the overpayment back to them, western union.

my scammer balked sending me anything western union.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #60 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

who is picking the cake up?...or are you supposed to deliver it?

the scam usually is overpayment, and they want you to pay someone back, westrn union.

this is so sad, because of all the scams, it's hard to tell.

i wonder why she is planning someones wedding from africa?...it just seems odd.

did she say where the reception will be? is it local? usually the reception of scammers is far away, and they need someone to pick it up...of course the shipper never comes, thats after you send them the balance ove the overpayment back to them, western union.

my scammer balked sending me anything western union.

I know...I'm afraid she is going to send me overpayment...on the other hand, when she sent me her credit card info...now that I think about it...I could have just entered the correct balance for her and that would eliminate the "overpayment" scam.

Maybe I'll ask her to establish all details for a contract before payment. Yeah. Going to do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%