Is This A Scam?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm by Jackie

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #61 of 76

USAA has a website (just usaa. com)

From an article dated 8/10 this year, it looks like they serve mostly military personnel. I don't know, it's possible this is legit. Maybe you could contact the bank through their website (800#?) and give them all the information you have and just let them know you're concerned about fraud - of course, they might be worried that you're the one defrauding somebody - but it might be worth a shot!

I'll never have to worry about an overseas issue, so my opinion might not be worth much....but I'll give it anyway! icon_razz.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #62 of 76

I think it might be legitimate...so I'm going to ask Jackie to delete this thread, and then I'll restart it totally with no personal info, just to keep you all posted on if it turns out alright or not...

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #63 of 76

Yes, USAA is basically a military bank. That's who we use and they are awesome. I would definitely try getting ahold of them. I don't know if they'll be able to tell you anything, but their customer service is usually very helpful. Hopefully everything works out no matter what the outcome is!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #64 of 76

Oh my word, leave it to me to get the one legitimate cake order of all the scams out there!

She called me this morning!!! She explained everything and she did understand about the scams...she was a little surprised at the difficulty of ordering but I think its ok now...she was at the embassy calling me and was going to contact the bride..(she said its hard to get phone lines).its a friend of hers and she wanted to help her out since its last minute. she's going to just pay through my website and she gave me venue address and flavors and is just going to confirm colors with her friend.

Ok now I feel like a heel. haha.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #65 of 76

I had something similar happen about a year ago.

Man called from Russia, wanting to order a cake for a party held at a local private club.

I heard Russia and assumed scam.

I quoted a ridiculous price, he said OK. I assumed it was a scam but sent a confirmation email anyway.

In the meantime I called the club where the party was supposedly taking place. This is the most exclusive club in town - the sort of place that doesn't put their name on the door, because if you know they exist, you know where they are

MMhmmm, it was real. The guy was spending $$$ on a party for his parents. He was a trainer of some sort, attached to the military and was temporarily stationed in Russia.

I did not get the job.

So, find out where the cake is going and call the venue.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #66 of 76

Its actually not a "venue" but its a place where the girls fiance owns in Philly...its a warehouse of some sort. But I got an address and everything.

The lady sounded really nice on the phone, I don't think she'd go through all this trouble to scam me. icon_smile.gif She said it was alot of fun looking through cake pictures the other night. Said that her friend's wedding was supposed to be in the summer and got changed or something and now its last minute and she's trying to help her out getting everything done.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:05pm
post #67 of 76

I will say I googled the address and it does NOT look like a good area... definitely not delivering this one alone! Hmm.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:11pm
post #68 of 76

USAA is my bank too. As the previous poster said, it's great.

As an aside, over the last two years it has been harder and harder for me to make purchases from the US (despite my valid military address). The reason is usually rooted in scams and credit card fraud. I understand, but it steams me that these circumstances exist and make our lives so much harder.

Hope this all works out Kitagrl... your cakes are gorgeous.

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

USAA is my bank too. As the previous poster said, it's great.

As an aside, over the last two years it has been harder and harder for me to make purchases from the US (despite my valid military address). The reason is usually rooted in scams and credit card fraud. I understand, but it steams me that these circumstances exist and make our lives so much harder.

Hope this all works out Kitagrl... your cakes are gorgeous.

Yeah I feel for you...this lady said sort of the same thing...she said she understood but that she was kinda surprised how difficult it would be to order a cake from overseas.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #70 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Definitely do NOT feel like a heel. You protected her account every bit as much as you protected your own.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:58pm
post #71 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Definitely do NOT feel like a heel. You protected her account every bit as much as you protected your own.

Amen to that!! You did nothing wrong. You were suspicious and wanted to protect someone from fraud (including yourself) so you were cautious. I applaud you! And like I said before, I'm sure this person appreciates that you are not charging cards willy nilly without confirmation. thumbs_up.gif

essence706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
essence706 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:23pm
post #72 of 76

After reading through this entire thread I'm glad that everything turned out to be legit. If it's not a safe area then definitely see if you can get someone to go with you to deliver.
Btw, your cakes are absolutely gorgeous kitagirl!

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:25pm
post #73 of 76

She gave you the bride's contact information, call her and discuss 'her' cake with her. Find out more about the bride and the wedding and why this lady from overseas is handeling this cake request. Just a thought.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #74 of 76

yay!!!!!!!!!!!
glad everything worked out well!

Kitagrl Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

She gave you the bride's contact information, call her and discuss 'her' cake with her. Find out more about the bride and the wedding and why this lady from overseas is handeling this cake request. Just a thought.

I just figured if she is not legit, then the bride won't be either. But if she is legit, then so is the bride, so its not a big deal to call the bride....

I haven't heard back from her since the phone call but I guess she has more to do in a day than plan wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 11:13pm
post #76 of 76

topic closed at the request of OP

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%