How Do I Turn This Woman Down?

Lounge By Dreme Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 3:09am by cabecakes

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 14

The other day I got a call from a woman asking for me to do a logo for her church. This caught me off guard as I only do cakes now. I dont offer logo, or any graphic services to anyone. I used to do this several years ago when I was earning my degree for it. I have made my own logo and website (which took forever) as my only current work. (I really didnt even want to do that. I wanted to hire someone). I really dont do this anymore, but family and friends still think of me as the"Graphic Artist".

A family member referred her to me for logo services. I usually get outside calls about cakes so I thought she may have been asking about a logo cake. She told me she wanted an actual logo and that a family member of mine referred her to me. I explained that I really dont do logos or other graphic services for anyone anymore and that I do cakes now. Well she went back to said family member and had them call me about doing the logo. I explained to this family member that I dont do this anymore. I kinda got guilted into maybe doing some sketches for them. I never said I would actually do this. I said maybe if I could draw it. I have my own business as well as working for someone else's so I really dont have the time to do the sketches.

Well I got an email from her the other day describing the details of what they wanted in the logo. It was very detailed. I definatley cannot sketch up ideas much less have the time to get it done. Today I got an email asking to let them know about a time when they can expect the drawings.

I do not want to deal with this. I feel bad about letting my family member down as they are apart of this church. What do I say to her? to my family member?

(excuse any sp)

13 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 14

I think you need to buck up.
You backed down to the family member but remember that they are family and you should allways be able to be honest with family.
I would call the family member and tell them that you truely did not want to do it in the first place and that now it seems that the chruch is expecting much more than you are willing to do or that you have the time to do. They should call the church and explain that they need to find someone else (if the family member had not chosen to get involoved in the first place I would say it was up to you to call the church). I would not feel guilty about something if you don't feel comfortable about being able to deliver something up to thier expectations.

HTH.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 14

Ouch! Do you have any contacts from your Graphics Design days that might be able and willing to help them out? If so, you could try and pull a few strings to get them some help and off your back. If that doesn't work, you will either have to make time to do it or tell them you just don't have time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 14

"Thank you for wanting me to do your logo, but due to my work schedule and other time constraints I can not help you with what you want. XYZ or ABC do great work, you may want to ask them, or try a graphic artist student that is looking for practice. I'm sorry but I can not help you."

Then to your family member: Thank you for refering to me, but please do not do that in the future as I am not longer doing that because of work and other time contraints."

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 14

Tell the family member that you heard from the lady and it was much more detailed than you have time for. Repeat to the family member that you don't have time to do this and that it's best for the lady to go with someone else. Then tell the lady the exact thing - you don't have time and really aren't in that industry anymore. If you have any recommendations (ppl. you used to go to school with/whatever), pass them along.

Just be nice and honest without creating more drama.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #6 of 14

I would handle it the way I would a cake order that I don't want!

"I am available to create a custom logo for you and it will cost $7, 429.32. Just let me know if you want to proceed"

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 14

It's simple...there is this really cool word that pretty much well says it all...it's called "No." Try it out, use it often and your life will be so much simpler.
Language... "No way Jose"
Time..."Excuse me, do you have the time?" "No"
Woman questions...."Let's talk about feelings..." "Noooooooooo!."
Commitment..."Do you want to get married?" "No"
Clothing..."Does this make me look fat?" "No"
Jealousy "Is she prettier than me" "No" (also add "No baby, she's ugly.")
Sex... Husband: "Baby...can we have sex?" Wife.... "No."

It's a grand word...use it freely.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

It's simple...there is this really cool word that pretty much well says it all...it's called "No." Try it out, use it often and your life will be so much simpler.
Language... "No way Jose"
Time..."Excuse me, do you have the time?" "No"
Woman questions...."Let's talk about feelings..." "Noooooooooo!."
Commitment..."Do you want to get married?" "No"
Clothing..."Does this make me look fat?" "No"
Jealousy "Is she prettier than me" "No" (also add "No baby, she's ugly.")
Sex... Husband: "Baby...can we have sex?" Wife.... "No."

It's a grand word...use it freely.

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif LOVE it! Really though, I can't see being guilted by a fa,mily memeber or stranger for something I don't even do anymore. Tell them, "Sketches are about $500. Paid upfront."

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #9 of 14

As I see it you have three choices,

1. Say No, I have a life.
2. Okay, it will cost $####,####.##, paid in advance.
3. Do really amateur art work that you know they will hate.

All three choices, will have the same result. No Job.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 14

If you don't want the business charge them so much where they will gladly stop bugging you. If they say yes, make sure you charged enough for a spa weekend icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 1:26pm
post #11 of 14

Ditto to what Texas Sugar wrote......simple but to the point!! I told you No now NO......

Pacific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pacific Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

I would handle it the way I would a cake order that I don't want!

"I am available to create a custom logo for you and it will cost $7, 429.32. Just let me know if you want to proceed"

I agree and my family use to do this in the construction trade..alot! Either too busy, didn't like the job, or the person...usually it was the latter!

Got to be firm.

By the way I am new member...I am just begining to learn this interesting and creative topic. Can't wait to take my first course with a pastry chef! Something I want to learn since I was a kid.

The site is awesome and the information so valuable.

I look forward to many hours with you all.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #13 of 14

Welcome Pacific,

Jump in anytime and you will learn to develop a thick skin so that you can handle your customer and family members with finesse or just the truth. LOL

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:09am
post #14 of 14

I agree with the above posters that said you should tell her you simply do not have the time to do the kind of job that would be up to your standards or up to theirs. Refer them to a local college or university, and also add that a student may do it a lot cheaper than you would have charged them. Dollar signs usually speak to the multitudes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%