Getting Appliances For Commercial Kitchen

Business By thecookieladycc Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm by thecookieladycc

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 12

I think that I have FINALLY found a place to open my business and now I need to start pricing ovens, fridges and what not. The only problem is that I have NO clue what I need to look for. I will be making primarily cakes, cookies and cupcakes. What size, type, brand do you use or recommended? I'm so excited right now I can't hardly think straight!

11 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 12

I am looking forward to seeing responses to your request for help. I am looking for equipment also.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 12

Well, first start with the HD's requirements - 3-compartment sink, hand sink, etc... Next, how much space do you REALLY have? No sense in pricing a 10 ft work table if only a 5' will fit. Figure out the floor plan of how ideally you would like things to fit in and then go from there.

couturecakesms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
couturecakesms Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 11:18am
post #4 of 12

Yes, anyone who is out there, please respond to this question if you have time, or lead us to another thread if this has been answered. I will know by the end of the week if my SBA loan goes through. If so, I will be buying equipment like crazy trying to get my store outfitted and opened asap. I'm doing mostly cupcakes. My problem is none of the whopping 2 rest. supply stores around here sell used appliances. You can't tell me that restaurants don't go out of business anymore. I'm in Jackson, MS. Anyone know of a GOOD restaurant supply store that sells used equipment within a few hours of Jackson, MS that you can personally recommend? I'll drive to Memphis, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta...your bakery or house if you have something for sale.... I have about $10-12,000 budgeted to outfit my kitchen.

I'm going to lease a commercial dishwasher, and I've got two 5qt Kitchen-Aid's already. I want to buy a Berkel 10 qt stand mixer or equivalent; I have $2,000 budgeted for ovens (new household ranges if I can get away with it @ $820 ea x 2 and possibly a third one that is used); I'm praying I can use standard range vent hoods; regular microwave; stainless steel work tables - budgeted $500; 2 or 3 household size used refrig / freezers budgeted @ $1,000. I'm also purchasing a new 3 compartment sink and a new mop sink. Obviously, if I can't use household ovens and refrigerators until I get started and on my feet, I'm in big trouble. Those two items are pricey - but, maybe I can lease or find used.

Of course, the only two girls that can definitively answer my questions at the Health Dept. are never there. I've heard that they will work with me on the equipment as long as it is installed, used and maintained properly. Have I left out any other big-ticket items? I know I've got a ton of small things to buy or raid from my house and the surrounding area. I'm planning on a small, one or two person operation producing about 200 cupcakes per day and maybe a few other batches of things.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 12

Yes, please help us new businesses. I am looking into a place and I will probably need to get a good oven (convection or otherwise) and I don't know what I am to look for. What makes one better than another? I will have a fridge already and a freezer chest, but should I make sure that I have a stand up freezer?

Any advice would be appreciated for us! Thank you!

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 12

I have been also looking into opening my own shop and finally becoming legal : ) I have been looking on craigslist (in the business section) and have came across freezers, coolers ect. You can also google used bakery equipment. Good luck to everyone.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 12

I have looked online and craig list, but I don't really know what kind to be looking for....that's my problem. icon_sad.gif

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 12

I'm in the exact same boat as everyone else. My step sisters best friend just opened up a cupcake shop in Austin and I went to her shop and took pictures of everything in her kitchen. So I made a list from the pictures and gave that to my business counselor. She does have a stand alone reach in fridge and a stand along freezer.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 12

Here is some pictures from another members post so you can get ideas, but remember you have to check with your HD, it think it varies from State to State.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=653872&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #10 of 12

Sometimes you can find auctions for used commercial kitchen equipment. (Everything in California has to be commercial and NSF rated--it depends on your state) I found a couple of auctions listed on craigslist. If there are restaurant supply stores, they may be able to tell you where to look as well or you can Google auctions. Often they are listed in the newspapaper.

Just be aware that many auctions tack on 15 percent or more to your bid when you go to pay. Also, when you bid on a lot, you may have to pay whatever you bid for each thing in the lot, not for everything. (ie if you bid $10 for a lot of 5 bowls you might owe $10.00 x 5 and then they will add 15 percent to that plus tax) If you know exactly what you want and what it should cost, you can do well, but you have to do the homework--know what hings cost new and don't pay more than you should. Also, be sure you know the rules. Call ahead or get there early and talk to the people running the auction, so you know how to bid.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 12

I think most states require NSF rated equipment. My state requires that you submit your floor plan and the specs (brand, size, rating, etc.) for all of your equipment BEFORE you install anything. And in my state you CANNOT use residential refrigerators.

I'd leave a bunch of messages with your Health Department women or go park yourself in their office until you get the answers you need before you buy or install anything. If you can't get a response from them, go up the chain. Ask for their supervisor or call a bigger office in a nearby city to get the info you need. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money unnecessarily.

I'd look on Craig's List (although be careful), and if you know any other restaurant owners ask them if they have a good resource for equipment. A caterer I know in my area has given me lots of good information on where to find used equipment. If you have access to a pick-up, you should be willing to travel a ways to pick up equipment. It may be well worth the money. Good luck! This stuff isn't cheap.

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 12

I still have no clue what to look for but I am feeling a bit more hopeful. I'm now working closely with the Economic Developer here in my town, and boy i tell you what this woman has been a blessing! I too have been trying to contact everyone on my own and am having a hard time getting a hold of anyone. But because she already has the "inside" track with everyone we already have meetings set up with a bunch of people this week to get stuff sorted out. I HIGHLY recommend getting a hold of your towns Economic developer. Its their job to help improve the town, and if your business can do that (which it will!) then they can help.
We are going to meet with the Heath Dept lady Wed to go over the check list of what I need, plus I'm talking to another gal tues about what tax forms I need to fill out. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%