Mmmm Rum Cake! Recipies?

Baking By sweetisome Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm by Jeff_Arnett

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a recipe for a rum cake that begins with a box mix. I've tried searching in the recipe link, but wasn't really ably to find anything. Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

I used rum and amaretto for the yellow WASC. I only swap out approx. 2/3 of rum for the liquid and use all butter flavoring instead of vanilla. I then also make a simple syrup with the rum with which to glaze it with.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 5

I always make extra syrup for other stuff. I swear I could eat it with a spoon it's so darn good. Makes me think of the ribbon of caramel in Pralines and Cream. You can drizzle this over a cinnamon coffee cake, or over ice cream. And anything that makes the soy ice cream we buy more like the real thing the better...LOL

My mom used to make a yellow mix and add pistachio pudding to it and then make the syrup and toasted pecans. I don't like the fake pistachio pudding. I want the real deal or plain yellow.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a rum cake recipe that I use all the time and always get great compliments on it...its from the Cake Mix Doctor if I'm not mistaken.HTH!! I always use Meyers or Myers Dark Rum and I also poke holes in the cake while warm and pour 1/2 cup of rum over the cake!

Golden Rum Cake

1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup dark rum (I use Meyers Dark Rum)
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark rum

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix and pudding mix. Mix in the eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil and 1/2 cup rum. Blend well. Pour batter over chopped nuts in the pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto serving plate. Brush glaze over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until all glaze is used.
To make the glaze: in a saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup rum.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetisome

I'm looking for a recipe for a rum cake that begins with a box mix. I've tried searching in the recipe link, but wasn't really ably to find anything. Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

---Bicardi's Famous Rum Cake---

1 cup chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts
1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold milk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

---Glaze---
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan. Invert on serving plate. Prick top with fork. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Note: The rum will cause steam. Be careful not to burn yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%