Where Do I Start? Total Newbie!

Decorating By SaraAA Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 1:36am by tatorchip

SaraAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 21

Hi everyone, Ive been pondering the idea of how I would love to get into cakes and decorations. Making them not only for myself but eventually a home based business. I know that I have a long way to go but wheres a good starting point for me.

Classes - Ive tried searching for some classes around my area but havent had any luck yet. I live in a pretty small town about 5,000 ppl or so.

So what are some basic equipment, classes, etc to get going with. I will be starting out slow as I do work full time with to little ones but any advice would be greatly appreicated!

Thank you!

20 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #2 of 21

Welcome to CC SaraAA
You just started by being a member good start everyone is friendly and helpful
Check out the stickies
read forums ask ask ask anything
check out the recipe section
check out the photos
I think that will help you so much

SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 21

thank you so much! ill start with that and get to reading. icon_smile.gif

SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 21

i do have one question, can someone help me see if there is a topic that talks about basic supplies for a home based business as in mixer, spatulas, etc? im having no luck, thanks!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 21

The first thing you need to do is find out if your state licenses homebased bakeries...I'm in TX and they don't here icon_sad.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:31am
post #6 of 21

sorry saraAA but in Ca. you cannot sell cakes out of your home. But don't let it discourage you, it's still a great hobby.

SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 21

yeah i was just looking that up but you beat me to it. thanks for the info. such a bummer as i was looking to make extra cash for something that ive wanted to do for a long time. oh well, im still up for it as i can do my own cakes then!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #8 of 21

Probably the best start would be to take a Wilton class. They have them at the craft stores. The supplies you have to buy for the class will be the things you're using at first. I've never taken the class (first had no time, then had no babysitter icon_biggrin.gif ) but I bought the Wilton toolbox full of stuff with a Michaels coupon many years ago and I still use all of the stuff.

SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #9 of 21

thanks, ill look into the class to see if i can find one that has it. i think a class would be great for me but as you the time, babysitter, etc will be hard to manage in but i will have to find one first. thanks again!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:40am
post #10 of 21

Check the link on my signature. It has dozens of tutorials.

tatorchip Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Probably the best start would be to take a Wilton class. They have them at the craft stores. The supplies you have to buy for the class will be the things you're using at first. I've never taken the class (first had no time, then had no babysitter icon_biggrin.gif ) but I bought the Wilton toolbox full of stuff with a Michaels coupon many years ago and I still use all of the stuff.

here you go to help get started
LL

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #12 of 21

Hello SaraAA trust my it wont take you long to learn everything you need to about making cakes but i would say dont rush yourself!! it takes time to learn all this and get it perfected. there are meny people on here who will tell you that you need to try things a couple of times before you go trying to promise it to a customers and then not be able to produce.so home based or not i think you should go the route of meny of us and start making these cakes for fun and family party to get the hang of it. good luck and feel free to ask as meny ?'s as you can we will all of them!!! krissy

KacieMeredith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KacieMeredith Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #13 of 21

Im a fellow CA girl, and it does suck terribly that we cant have home kitchens. Right now I only make cakes for friends and family so no selling. They buy what I need and I do the work, so thats how I do it for now. But since I have been getting requests from others Im looking into starting a small business. One option we have in cali is to rent space. Any kitchen that is liscensed by CA (ie our grades) can be baked out of, this includes if a church if it has a comm kitchen that they get inspected or other places as such. Since it is a small town you might know someone that can help. I hope this helps!

SaraAA Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:47am
post #14 of 21

wow, thank you for the coupon! im gonna go check out there site right now!

yeah, i know it will take me a while for the fact that i dont have a lot of extra time but i decided i need a hobby and i love the idea of it.

i really appreciate all the info

SaraAA Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 21

i was wondering if someone could get me the link that tells me i cant sells cakes out of my house. i have a friend who says i can and that her friend does and its all legit so she doesnt understand why i cant so i would like to get her the information about it. can anyone help me?

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 10:55pm
post #16 of 21

As one newbie to another: this is the place to be. The CC folks know their stuff! thumbs_up.gif And just look at some of their cakes! Ho-ly-Cow!! icon_eek.gif There is so much info it will make your head swim! Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #17 of 21

WELCOME TO THIS WONDERFUL PAGE..THIS PLACE IS THE BEST PLACE TO LEARN...EVERYONE HERE IS SO NICE AND WILLING TO HELP...GOOD LUCK..I AM NEWBIE TOO.

KacieMeredith Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #18 of 21

Here is a link to a PDF for a partial section to the California Health and Safety Code, titled California Retail Food Code . I pulled out a few quotes, but feel free to read more about it...I wish it werent but its true, and I have been CA food safety certified and they went over that in the class too. I wish more than anything I could legally make a cake from my house, that way I could stop giving my cakes away...

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/services/Documents/fdbRFC.pdf

Section 113789
(c) "Food facility" does not include any of the following:
(1) A cooperative arrangement wherein no permanent facilities are used for storing or handling food.
(2) A private home.

Article 3. Food from Approved Sources
(a) Food shall be obtained from sources that comply with all applicable laws.
(b) Food prepared in a private home may not be used or offered for sale in a food facility.

Article 4. Premises
(a) Except as specified in subdivision (b), a private home, a room used as living or sleeping quarters, or an area directly opening into a room used as living or sleeping quarters shall not be used for conducting food facility operations.

SaraAA Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #19 of 21

thanks everyone!

i just wanted to share with her that i was informed it wasnt legit but i couldnt find the link..thanks again

KacieMeredith Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:31am
post #20 of 21

You are so very welcome!

tatorchip Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #21 of 21

SaraAA, how is it going for you, learning alot I hope, keep your head up and relax and enjoy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%