College/sports Team Logos

Business By costumeczar Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm by erinalicia

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 5

Just an FYI-- I've been emailing a few local colleges and pro sports teams that my client base commonly wants for their groom's cakes and asking them what their policies are on the use of logos on cakes. Most of them are pretty flexible, but some are pretty strict about what logos you can use.

I got permission from the Redskins to use their logo for a limited number of cakes per year, but I can't use photos of the cakes in any advertising or on my website. The other NFL teams that I contacted didn't have that restriction, so it looks like they all follow different guidelines.

Just to let you know that if you ask, you can get permission, then you won't feel like you're doing anything illegal, ha ha!

4 replies
No-goodLazyBum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
No-goodLazyBum Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 5

Who in the organization(s) did you contact to get permission?

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 5

Who do you contact to get permission? I have a groom's cake to make with an older Alabama logo and because it is so detailed, I'd rather do an edible image on fondant than a FBCT. I'd have to have the edible image printed at the grocery store. I'm fairly sure I'd have to have something saying that I have permission to have it printed.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 5

I've just been going to the websites and looking for contact information in either the legal department, marketing department, or public relations. There's usually one of those categories listed somewhere under the staff listings, or directory listings. I had to randomly email a couple of the pro sports teams using their contact buttons, but I just requested that my email be forwarded to the right person, and it's worked so far.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I better get on that then, since I need it soon. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%