Have You Ever Shipped Overseas?

Baking By DefyGravity Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 12:20am by DefyGravity

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

My husband is in Korea right now, and wants me to send cookies again. The last time I sent some, I used the Chocolate Sugar Cookie recipe from Confetti Cakes. I Googled about 5 different websites on how to ship cookies, used advice from all of them, and my husband said that half of them were fine, half of them were broken down the middle, and one was completely obliterated.

They were sent Priority in a sturdy box, and nothing else was in the box except a couple paperback books. Plus, I used a lot of newspaper to pad the area around the cookies.

The next batch I send will be Oatmeal Raisin. Any suggestions to how to get them there in one piece? Thanks!

5 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 6

I put small bubble wrap in the bottom of a plastic storage box, put in a layer of cookies, then continue until the box is full with a layer of bubbles on top. if the box is not completely full, then I fill with bubbles or wadded up plastic shopping bags. The box is then packaged in a cardboard box, surrounded by more bubble wrap, shredded paper, soft stuff... you get the idea.
Good luck!

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 6

I have sent decorated sugar cookies to Iraq several times. I put them individually in baggies and pack them in popcorn. Seems to work.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 6

Though I have not done it myself, I have heard friends say have successfully shipped cookies they baked in a size they could stack/pack into Pringles cans. Wrap a stack of cookies in plastic wrap and then put into a pringles can. Wrap the can in bubble wrap. Brownies or RKT can be cut with a round cutter and individually wrapped and stacked in the pringles can, too. As sugalips mentioned, bags full of popped popcorn make good edible packing material too.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

I have sent cookies in a box where I layered with bubble wrap. I got the big bubble wrap and put a layer in the bottom, then a layer of cookies in a large ziplock, then a layer of large bubble wrap and so on. I din't have any breakage. I sent them from US to Japan. It packed in pretty tight, so when it was all taped up nothing moved or shifted when you shook the box. Good luck!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I'll try again and hopefully they'll all survive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%