Coraline Cake

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 7:15am by Annabakescakes

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 10

After a major creative block this is what I came up with.
It's for a Coraline/Halloween birthday party for 2 sisters.
The bottom tier is the tunnel, I was thinking about painting it in royal .
The top tier is the night sky from one of the movie posters with the buttom moon.
And of course the tree topper, which I was going to make out of wire and dip a few times in royal to keep it thin and creepy but give it texture?
The names will be in the Coraline font and the couple of flowers are from the Other World garden and added for just a little bit of color.
I've never seen the movie so is this a good?
Did I capture the Coraline feel or is it back to the drawing board?
LL

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 10

I would put a needle and black thread on there (not a real one of course), on the top tier, and some black buttons in pairs. We just watched the movie this past weekend but I don't remember the moon at all in it...the creepy spidery metal hand sewing the buttons on in the beginning is pretty memorable, and the way the other mother is trying to get Coraline to accept a pair of button eyes and stay in her world. There's also a black cat who is kind of a major character in it, so maybe a silhouette of a black cat would work.

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 10

I agree - needle and spool of black thread would make an excellent topper. Cool tree! thumbs_up.gif

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 10

I like the suggestion of the needle and thread. Other than that I think you've nailed it, that's awesome looking!

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 10

i loved this movie. i agree with the needle and thread. love how it looks like the tree is grabbing the key. looks like it's going to be an awesome cake! can't wait to see pictures!!

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 10

Ok, i hate to do this, but since it's two sister, maybe you could put the two actress sisters as the toppers? Or is that to cutesy?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 5:20am
post #7 of 10

I think it sounds great! The only other thing I would consider if it makes sense in the way you are doing the tunnel, is creating the doorframe and even the door (opened) since the door itself was a huge part of the theme of the movie. I don't think your design would be lacking without it, but it could be a nice touch if it fits in design wise. Looking at your sketch it may not really be appropriate since your entire bottom tier looks like the tunnel (cool!) If not the door, how about just the key lying on the cake board?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 10

Ooooo! My husband loves that move! I think buttons would be cute, too. Maybe a button border?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 10

p.s. I am dumb icon_redface.gif I just noticed the key on top of the cake. Nevermind! icon_razz.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 7:15am
post #10 of 10

Ha ha! I am dumb too! I just saw the buttons when I looked for the key! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%