Recipes From Scratch And Box Cakes

Business By aymezort Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 4:20am by sugarMomma

aymezort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aymezort Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #1 of 2

I am working on getting licensed and growing my business. I make some cakes from scratch and some start with a box cake and then get "tweaked". My customers really like my cake flavors. My question is, as I grow my business, is it ok to use box cake mixes or do I need to go to all cakes from scratch. If it's ok to use cake mixes, can I buy them in bulk from the manufacturer and does anyone do this? I hesitate changing what I do because I get really great feedback from my customers on how good my cakes are but if as I grow, I need to go to all cakes from scratch, I need to transition now rather than later. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

1 reply
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:20am
post #2 of 2

I think it is ok to whatever you want, as long as you and it tastes delicious. And modified box recipes can be pretty tasty.
I am more of an occasional baker that makes both scratch and modified box recipes, mainly I bartend banquets at a large Hilton on the ocean. So I have seen and tasted many, many wedding cakes and one very well known bakery in town that does quite a few of our events uses doctored box recipes for their basic yellow and chocolate cakes. They have other scratch gourmet flavors too, so it is fine to use either.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%