Petit Four Class

Decorating By CakeyThings Updated 3 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm by cylstrial

CakeyThings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeyThings Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 29

Hello,
I was just wondering do you guys think its worth it to sign up for an 8 hr petit four and torte class. It's 160$ so I was just wondering....Is it something I could teach myself and practice or is it something i definitely need to see the technique to do?
Thanks!

28 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 29

What all is included in the class? Is it a just show up with nothing and leave with petit fours? If that is the case then I do think a $160 for 8 hours is reasonable. If they give you a laundry list of supplies you have to bring and you still have to pay big bucks for the class, then I'd probably feel different.

To me there are many thing that we can pick up our selves. Some people can pick up a decorating bag and a book and produce beautiful roses, or make gumpaste roses with little instruction. The bonus of classes in my opinion is that you have someone that has tried it many different ways and has found a way that works good for them. They can tell you what didn't work for them or give you suggestions for things that may make things easier for you.

At the ICES convention I am always reminded of how many different ways that things can be done. I have gone to several different demos on gumpaste flowers and everyone has this thing or that way they do it. It doesn't make it right or wrong, just different. And sometimes in learning all those this way and that ways you can combine them and come up with a way that works best for you.

I guess I could have simply said (feeling long winded today) that if you have the time and the money, then in my experince even if you came out of the class learning a new trick or two then it was worth doing it.

CakeyThings Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 29

It's a come with nothing leave with petit fours class.....So I guess that is reasonable....
thanks for breaking it down like that! sometimes I just need a little push when it comes to spending $ lol

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 29

You might try making them first on your own, then if you're not happy with your results, take a class...that way you'd know spending the money was justified icon_biggrin.gif

I'm the same way, I can spend money on my kids but when it's something for me, it's so hard to do!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 29

My local party supply store offered a 4 hour petit four & doberge class for $40. It was taught by a Wilton instructor and I'm glad I went, but it was not worth more than $40 (IMHO). I can't imaging spending 8 hours on petit fours and torting. I hope it's a lot of hands on. That would then be worth $160. My class was more of a demonstration class..very little hands on.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I can't imaging spending 8 hours on petit fours and torting.

I can imagine spending 8 hours on petit fours icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif that's why I won't make the things for anyone anymore icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 29

icon_lol.gif Yeah - what Texas Rose said!! Those little buggars are a nightmare. I know how to do them, I just don't LIKE doing them!

I have learned it is OK for me to spend money on classes - if it is something I want to know - I don't regret any of the monies I have spent on the ones I have taken. There are a few tips I have learned (froma class) that just on their own it was worth the money spent!

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

My local party supply store offered a 4 hour petit four & doberge class for $40. It was taught by a Wilton instructor and I'm glad I went, but it was not worth more than $40 (IMHO). I can't imaging spending 8 hours on petit fours and torting. I hope it's a lot of hands on. That would then be worth $160. My class was more of a demonstration class..very little hands on.

You can not compair the Wilton prices to other class prices. That would be like comparing the Fondant/Gumpaste class with a Nic Lodge class. They are just in different leagues. And that is from a Wilton instructor. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't pay $160 on a non hands on class either. Like I said before, it also depended on what all was included in the class. Since it is a class that they are bring everything, then that cuts down on what you are spending. And as someone that has done classes, those costs for the person doing it, when they supply the tools adds up fast.

It sounds like you are playing $160 for supplies, the lesson (hopefully different ways to do it) and leaving with finished products of petit fours and a torte. When you break that down it is $20 an hour, which sounds reasonable to me.

They could have said it is a $100 class but by the time you buy the supplies, cakes, fillings, and so on, you realise that you are spending way more than $160.

Plus when it is set up like that, if you decide you don't like doing them, you don't have a bunch of petit four supplies lying around that you aren't doing anything with.

CakeyThings Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:11am
post #9 of 29

"Plus when it is set up like that, if you decide you don't like doing them, you don't have a bunch of petit four supplies lying around that you aren't doing anything with."

So true!!
It's 2 4hr classes
This is the description:

Petites Fours and Specialty Tortes (8 Hours) $160
Learn to create an assortment of petites four including éclairs, Madeleines, French macaroons, fruit and chocolate tartlets, diamond cookies and opera torte.

hmmmmm french macaroons i wanna learn

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 29

Wow Cakey...that's a lot stuff now that you list the entire class schedule. Now it sounds much more worth. If you go...enjoy!!!!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #11 of 29

Where is this class located??? I want some petit fours... icon_cry.gif

TexasSugar Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 29

For all that, total worth it. Go and enjoy yourself!

CakeyThings Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 29

So I finally got paid and tried to sign up for the class....it got cancelled!!!
I'm so upset icon_sad.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 29

Oh no Cakey! Did they say why the class got cancelled? Are they going to re-schedule it?

I was just going to tell you that I would definitely go. Anytime you can take a class from a professional, go for it!

CakeyThings Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:37pm
post #15 of 29

No they didn't say why.....icon_sad.gif
Maybe lack of enrollment? I think I will call and find out lol

TexasSugar Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 29

Ahhh that sucks!!

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 29

I would definitely call and ask - and find out if they are going to have another one as well. Or possibly ask for the instructor to call you. That way you can find out her schedule and see if she's teaching it in a nearby city.

Good luck!

CakeyThings Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 29

Thats a great idea....to call the teacher...thanks!
I actually jus signed up for a 7 week dessert decorating and candy making course....It's a recreational class but I figured it would be useful....

They say they dont give out certifications of participation, but I think after 7 weeks, I am going to want one icon_smile.gif so I'm gonna talk to the teacher about that one

cylstrial Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:52pm
post #19 of 29

After 7 weeks, you definitely deserve a certificate! You get that changed!

CakeyThings Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #20 of 29

I called....apparently I was the only one who signed up for the petit four class....
le sighhhh

cylstrial Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 11:34am
post #21 of 29

Oh gosh! That sucks! Is the teacher going to call you the next time she has a class?
It sounds like it's time for you to round up some friends!!

CakeyThings Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:07am
post #22 of 29

Ok this is gettin ridiculous.....
my 7week candy making/ dessert decorating class was cancelled too!!!!!!!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 3:59am
post #23 of 29

I tried 3 times to sign up for the wilton level 3 course. I also tried a couple of times to do the fondant course. They were always cancelled due to lack of participants.

Maybe people just aren't into spending money on this kind of stuff right now. I would love to take a petit fours class!

cylstrial Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:44pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeyThings

Ok this is gettin ridiculous.....
my 7week candy making/ dessert decorating class was cancelled too!!!!!!!

Do you have friends that you could recruit to take the class with you? That way, they can't cancel it?

CakeyThings Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:38pm
post #25 of 29

Nah, not any that i can convincce to spend the money...they r more "eat the practice rejects" people lol

CakeyThings Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:39pm
post #26 of 29

Nah, not any that i can convincce to spend the money...they r more "eat the practice rejects" people lol

CakeyThings Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 5:44pm
post #27 of 29

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 1 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #28 of 29

Hey CakeyThings, where are you located that these types of classes are offered? I think it's wonderful that different classes are offered other than Wilton classes.

cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:09pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeyThings

LOL! I understand. My whole family sits around like vultures waiting for permission to eat the practice rejects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%