Another Scam Email-Different One This Time.

Business By costumeczar Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm by CakeForte

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 4

I got an email from a company that claimed to be a registry for domain names saying that someone was trying to register the name of my business as a keyword, and I needed to let them know if I wanted to register it first. SO of course this didn't sound right and when I googled "keyword registration scam" this explanation of it came up. http://elliottback.com/wp/domain-name-registration-scam/

Just be aware that you can't register a keyword anywhere, and that these people are just trying to get your credit card info.

Oh, and there's another thing that domain registrars do, which is to send you a notice that your web domain is going to expire soon, which could be true. They're just trying to get you to re-register it with them, not your original registration company, whoever that may be. Make sure that if you re-register your domain that it's with the company you want to register it with, not some random company who catches you offguard.

3 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 4

Thanks for the heads up! People will do anything these days for a scam!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, they are getting smarter & smarter with the scams they come up wtih!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 4

Yeah. My domain is $8/yr and I get yearly letters to register for $30/ yr. Now why would I do that. The majority of domain hosts will renew it automatically unless you tell them not to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%