Support Ideas For Square Tiers

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm by Jeff_Arnett

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 12

I am having a hard time figuring out what to use for support underneath my square tiers. For my round tiers and smaller square tiers, I just use the Wilton cardboard cake circles (that's all i can get around here). But for my 12 inch square cakes, the 16 inch round is barely too small to fully support the tier, and the Wilton 9X13 sheet cake boards are so flimsy that when i go to move them around, the icing cracks. Does anyone have any suggestions? If i were to use foamcore, how would i make it food-safe since i will be putting the cake directly on it? Thanks so much for any tips or suggestions!

11 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 12

Foam core. Wpe it down with vodka, vanilla extract, or cover with Glad Press n' Seal.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 12

I use 1/2 inch plywood. My local lumberyard will cut squares for me for about $1 each. Then I cover them in freezer paper. Since they're so cheap, I don't care if they are returned or not.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 12

You use plywood under each tier? Or just the base for the entire cake? Speaking of....I bought a nice huge slab of MDF at Lowes this weekend. One corner of this baby is what one 14" square precut costs online.

THEN....go to the hardware department, and there are several kits you can get to make circle cuts in wood by attaching it to your saws, rather than tracing around a line and getting jaggedy edges. Pretty cool!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 12

If the 9x13 is too flimsy, then use 2 or 3 of them. Just wrap 2 of them in the decorative foil. You don't have to tape or glue the boards together. .... the foil holds them together just fine.

If you find you are doing larger cakes, you might want to look into ordering some larger boards online and keep them in stock.

jardot22 Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for all the suggestions! Indydebi I don't know why I didn't think of using 2 of the 9 x 13 boards LOL. Duh (slapping forehead) icon_smile.gif I will do that, or else just use foamcore covered in press n seal wrap . I really don't do anything larger than a 14 inch square at this point, and I'm only doing about 2-3 cakes per month, but I'll definitely be ordering some larger boards if i decide to take on more orders. You all are the best -thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

You use plywood under each tier? Or just the base for the entire cake?

Nah, just under the base. I use cake cardboards under the other tiers.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:40am
post #8 of 12

I use cake drums for the base and of course SPS for support. It definitely comes in square.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardot22

I am having a hard time figuring out what to use for support underneath my square tiers. For my round tiers and smaller square tiers, I just use the Wilton cardboard cake circles (that's all i can get around here). But for my 12 inch square cakes, the 16 inch round is barely too small to fully support the tier, and the Wilton 9X13 sheet cake boards are so flimsy that when i go to move them around, the icing cracks. Does anyone have any suggestions? If i were to use foamcore, how would i make it food-safe since i will be putting the cake directly on it? Thanks so much for any tips or suggestions!

I've been posting all over the board the last couple weeks about a new line of ready made foamcore boards that will be available in a couple weeks. They will be in both 1/2 inch [base] or 3/16 inch [separator] thicknesses and covered with a grease and waterproof styrene covering. They will be available in many shapes and sizes.

I will post the information just as soon as the manufacturer tells me they are ready to sell them......stay tuned!

jardot22 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #10 of 12

Jeff, those sound perfect! I will definitely stay tuned icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 12

Jeff, might they be available for International shipping?
Sounds like they are a great *must have* and *must use*.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

Jeff, might they be available for International shipping?
Sounds like they are a great *must have* and *must use*.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Tht i don't know.....but I will inquire!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%