Chocolate Mmf Driving Me Nuts!

Decorating By TotallyBaked Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 11:38am by majka_ze

TotallyBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyBaked Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:00am
post #1 of 4

So I've tried 5 different variations on CMMF over the past few weeks, and still can't get it right. It has NO elasticity whatsoever, and after the cake is covered, ends up getting really brittle or cracking. I've tried melted chocolate, cocoa powder, combination of both... Any suggestions out there? I've seen I'm not the only one with this problem, but still haven't found a solution that I haven't tried yet. Any leadway on this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance icon_surprised.gif)

3 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:27am
post #2 of 4

I also had nothing but problems with CMMF. I then switched to Michelle Foster's CF recipe. It did work better for covering but it was still a little drier and did crack. I'm gonna try to add more glycerin next time.

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:30am
post #3 of 4

I also had touble and then I just added more melted marshmallows and it turned out fine.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:38am
post #4 of 4

The only advice I have for chocolate MMF is to start with the cocoa powder. It works different than PS - you cannot take out 1 tablespoon PS and give 1 tablespoon cocoa instead.
What I do is to mix all of the cocoa powder in the recipe with some PS - this helps with clumps etc. Mix this with the melted marshmallows and stir it in. After this, add powdered sugar only and stop when the MMF has the right consistency. Almost ever you will end with some PS left.

The same is true for any chocolate fondant - it is easier to start with all cocoa in it and use the PS to adjust the consistency. Make it softer if you won't work with it straight away. You can always add PS in it, but for cracking MMF you sometimes need to melt some more marshmallows - the water or fat is sometimes not enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%