Rose Cutters

Decorating By FleurDeCake Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm by peg818

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:30am
post #1 of 6

Hi my caking friends. i am really new to the sugar art world and i am making my first wedding cake for my daughter. I need to make lots of roses and am trying to purchase the right cutters for the most realistic rose. i foung some PME rose leaf cutter plunger at GSA . what I need to knowis how wexactly is this cutter used . Any and all help appreciated. TIA

5 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 7:43am
post #2 of 6

I don't know about that particular cutter but you will definitely find some useful tutorials on Youtube. Just do a search for "gumpaste rose" and you'll see a few different techniques, have a practice and see which one works for you!
HTH
icon_smile.gif
Emma

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:03am
post #3 of 6

Hi, is it the PME Rose Leaf Plunger Cutter/Veiner Set of 3 (product ID #1741icon_cool.gif that you've bought or looking at buying? That cutter will cut out single rose leaf with veining on the top side only, not on the underside. I think you'll probably need to buy some rose petal cutters to make the roses themselves, the sizes you buy depends on the size of the roses you want to make, there are so many different ones from individual petal cutters, the five in one petal cutters, plastic, metal. Personal choice really. I like to use the individual metal rose petal/leaf cutters & then use the veiners that does both the top & undersides of the petals/leaves. This way they look a little more realistic & I can position every single petal where I want on the bud.

I'm sure there are many others who do their roses much better & differently to me & who probably have more experience than I do, who can probably give you better advice.

Do you live near a cake decorating supplies store? or is there a fellow decorator close by that you could talk to about making roses? I found I learnt better when somebody showed me how to make them in real life. But saying that I learnt a lot looking at tutorials on YouTube & reading up on it.

I use a similar technique to what Edna uses on her YouTube videos, she has a sensational 6 part tutorial on how to make roses on wires at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiNRkSQLf8&feature=related
which I think is great!

Anyway, I hope my babble has helped you & not confused you even more! Good luck & happy rose making! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

This is the tutorial that I've found most useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/

You have to scroll down a ways into the comments to find the link to the video. The cutter that she uses in the video is the Jem 5 petal cutter.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 6

thanks for the info. can any of you guys tell me the best online site to purchase the cutters and veiners. quickest and best price?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebymilan

thanks for the info. can any of you guys tell me the best online site to purchase the cutters and veiners. quickest and best price?

really depends on where you are, but i have never gone wrong with globalsugarart they get the stuff right out. And if you call them on the phone a live person answers during business hours of course. I'm located about 3 hours from their shop and usually have my order within two days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%