How Long Will Chocolate Dipped Strawberries Last?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 5 Oct 2009 , 4:18am by madgeowens

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 10

I am thinking of doing chocolate dipped strawberries on the top and sides of my Mom and Dad;s 45th anniversary cake but I would like to know how long the berries will last before they start to sweat.

Any advice would be helpful...

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 10

If you look in my pix, I did a chocolate basketweave cake with chocolate dipped strawberries on them. I dipped the strawberries before taking them to work where the couple was to pick them up -- they arrived four hours later and the berries were sweating. They didn't eat the cake until later that night (they told me the berries and chocolate tasted delicious because of the juice) icon_confused.gif I'll take that as a good sign... Also don't use candy melts, use (I'm not remembering what it's called now) ... crap, I'm drawing a blank. It begins with a D and it's in the fruit aisle of most grocery stores -- it's a small cardboard container that you nuke. The chocolate looks like candy melts but it dries hard like a shell (think chocolate dipped cherries) and encases the juices if the fruit sweats.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much..I know what you are talking about the chocolate in the box..I'll have to try that!!!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

I wonder what that chocolate is called icon_confused.gif I'd like to try it...

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 10

wipe strawberries down good with paper towel first....

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 10

I think it's called Dolce. Don't quote me on it but that sounds right to me.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 10

Chocolate covered strawberries last about 5 minutes in my house.

I think bobwonderbuns is right. Dolce sounds correct. I find it in the produce section in the grocery store. It is in a round cardboard container. Pop it in the nuker for a minute or 2 and done! Handy stuff.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 10

I think it comes in Caramel and chocolate..I'm gonna use that!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyMJ

Chocolate covered strawberries last about 5 minutes in my house..

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I was just gonna type that! icon_biggrin.gif I can't dip them quick enough in my house.

I would suggest putting them on the cake at the very last possible moment, and don't refrigerate them once dipped or they are certain to sweat when you take 'em out. I've made one cake with the strawberries ontop..put them on in the morning, we were eating the cake that afternoon. The dang things were running even before we left the house. Make sure you pipe a really solid icing dam on the top to contain the juices just to make sure.
I'm not fond of this type of cake for this very reason. I like to be able to finish the cake the day before and be done with it. Tastes great, look pretty but is a pain in my book.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #10 of 10

I just found out about a cake(covered with fresh strawberries) I made for my son to take to a picnic this past summer, he and my grandson apparently picked strawberries on the way and I don't even want to know what the cake looked like when it arrived at the picnic....I did hear from someone that she was actually licking the plate when it was all gone hahaha........it was too funny.........and I have to pretend that I don't know what they did to my cake....icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%