High Ratio And Whipping

Decorating By travmand Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm by travmand

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 7

Good morning. I've done a lot of reading on making buttercream icing and I notice most instructions say that too much beating will leave air bubbles in your frosting. I typically beat my shortening with flavorings and salt for about five minutes and then add my sugar and milk just until mixed. However, here's my questions. In different recipes for the high-ratio recipes....I see instructions to beat for 10-15 minutes "after" the addition of the powdered sugar??? Do my beating directions change with the addition of the high ratio?

Also...maybe this should be a new post, but I'm driving North on the interstate next weekend...does anyone know where I can pick up some more high ratio shortening in the Madison, WI area that wouldn't take me too far off course?

6 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

Not sure about your mixing times, but I did find a thread that says you need to reduce the amount of shortening if you change to High-Ratio.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654155-high.html+ratio+crisco

travmand Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 7

Yes...I have been reducing my high-ratio, mainly because I'm cheap icon_smile.gif

I just don't get it how some recipes say to mix slow to avoid air bubbles....then the next recipe will say to let it beat for 25-10 minutes? Hmmm? I do like the look and feel of my frosting when I let it beat real fluffy...but I had a big bubble in the side of my cake this weekend (crusting cream cheese recipe). Tasted delicious though icon_smile.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 7

there is a great little cake supply shop on the west side of Madison called Vanilla Bean that carries hi-ratio shortening.... I've been there many times while visiting family, and they are quite helpful.
Vanilla Bean
6805 Odana Rd
Madison , WI 53719
(60icon_cool.gif 833-3050

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 7

Are you whipping, or beating?

Mike

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 7

Use your beater attachment, not the wisk and as long as you mix on a lower speed and your bowl is full to the top, you won't get air bubbles. You can still mix it for the same amount of time that you usually do.

Sugarshack's youtube video is very good if you watch that you'll pick up some great tips. Here's a link to it.

travmand Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 7

I saw on the internet the Vanilla Bean store. My choices are Rockford or Madison .... which are both about a 45-60 minute drive . I did pick up two cans once when I was down in Rockford....and the stuff is awesome! Maybe while I'm Christmas shopping I'll get the chance to pick some more up. I hate paying $8 for someone to ship it to me icon_sad.gif

As far as what I'm using to mix....I always use my Kitchen Aide paddle. I'm going to try again this weekend...and I'll use more powdered sugar to fill up the mixing bowl. Hope for no air bubbles in my finished cake icon_smile.gif I'll check out the video.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%