How Do I Use Pearl Glaze?

Decorating By audrey0522 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm by sadsmile

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 13

I will be making a bead border for a wedding cake using a bead mold. The lady at the store recommended pearl glaze to give them a nice finsih. It is a small bottle of liquid(20 grams). I don't know how to use it. She said one bottle will do all the beads I need (border on a 6", 10", 14", and 18" cake). Any advice would really be appreciated!

12 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 13

The best use I have for that stuff is to keep it in the corner of my color box with a huge red X over it in red sharpie so I never buy it again.

I think if you are using a bead mold and are using gumpast or fondant then you will get much better resutls from a pearl dust. Dust in the mold and then again over them after you release them from the mold.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #3 of 13

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about trying some of that stuff. What is the problem with it. Is it a mess to work with?

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 13

I use it quite often and like the effect. I just brush it on after I put the pearls on the cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 13

make you a sample bead border. let it dry. brush on the glaze.. see... for yourself... how.. YOU.. like it. i have some. but havent, tried it yet.. most people really like it... hope you do...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:12am
post #6 of 13

I love love MY pearl glaze. Love it. Here is a pic of the kind I use. Need to stir the bottom up with a toothpick, same goes for the silver and gold.

http://www.gloriascakecandysuplys.com/store/media/Food_Colors/pearl_glaze.png

Sad...why you no likey?

audrey0522 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 11:05am
post #7 of 13

Lurvely, That is the brand I have.

I am going to have a black ribbon border and then the beads at the bottom. I like the idea of brushing it on after but I worry about getting it on the ribbon. Any suggestions?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

Lurvely, That is the brand I have.

I am going to have a black ribbon border and then the beads at the bottom. I like the idea of brushing it on after but I worry about getting it on the ribbon. Any suggestions?

Use a small paint brush and a very steady hand.

If possible when you put the pearl border on leave a slight gap between the pearls and the black ribbon. Place an index card or something like that between the 2 and apply the glaze sliding the card along as you work. When finished push the bead border back snugly against the cake.

You can also just apply the glaze within 1/8" of the black ribbon.....much easier and quicker too.

audrey0522 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you for the tips!

sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 13

I found it to be finicky like nail polish. I have that brand in silver. i used it to paint some dry RI. It didn't give an even coat and trying to touch it up messed it up big time as it was tacky. Give me a dry brush and some dust as soon as you pop your stuff out of a mold -any day.
But hey if you can get it to work and get great results then that is awesome too.

sewgratefulquilts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewgratefulquilts Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 8:57pm
post #11 of 13

So sadsmile, you dust your pearls as soon as they come out of the mold, not wait until they dry on the cake??? I'm learning and would like to know.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 13

i,m sorry.. i thought she was talking about pearl glaze... not the dusting powders.. i do think , you paint the glaze on the dry fondant or g/p... correct me if i am wrong..

sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 13

Yes, I dust the mold and then dust the pearls right as they come out of the mold. the dust really sticks to fresh fondant and gum paste and as it dries it glues and fuses into the surface of the pearls and it looks more real that way. IMO anyway. icon_wink.gif

And yes again the glaze gets painted onto dry decorations made from RI or Gum paste or fondant. It paints like a shimmery nail polish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%