Help! My First Fondant Figures

Decorating By giraffe11 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm by sugarMomma

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:01am
post #1 of 8

OK. I have never played with fondant before and I am making little characters for my son's birthday cake and I just need to know the best way to stick the various components together. I was sticking them with a tiny bit of water, but only with limitted success. Should I be using something else? Thanks.
Heather

7 replies
babydoll1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydoll1981 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:17am
post #2 of 8

ok i found the best way to put together fondant is to use either toothpicks or raw spagetti. i purchaced some styrofoam rounds to be able to sit them on and stick the toothpics in. with the spagetti i have noticed they get soft if left in too long. i also do the head, torso and legs seperate then stick them all together when the fondant has had time to harden a little.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:37am
post #3 of 8

I brush on a small amount of vodka. It dries clear and quickly. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:47am
post #4 of 8

Use tylose mixed with water if you have it. If not, use meringue powder mixed with water. The best way to get arms and things like that to stay on is to make an indentation where you're going to add the piece, and stick the end of the arm into the hole. You can make the indentation with the end of a paintbrush or with the pointy end of the white wilton ball tool, if you have one.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:33am
post #5 of 8

its all down to personal choice, i just use a sugar glue for a small peices. For larger pieces i like to use a cocktail stick, but always make sure to tell them there is one in there first icon_smile.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I had no idea there were so many options, but of course I should have guessed, right? Always a dozen ways to solve the problem. I ended up using a tiny bit melted white candy coating and a little brush, but it turned out a little sloppy and I haven't looked at them yet today.
Thanks again! I will try some of these ideas out today when I make my next batch.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 8

You can always scrape off the excess white chocolate that is showing after it and your piece have dried, if that is the sloppy look you are referring to.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 8

I have also used floral wire to hold in arms and legs and then brushed with a tiny bit of egg white for "glue". Meringue powder and water will do the same trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%