New Wilton Pans

Decorating By kricket Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 1:09am by sadsmile

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:22am
post #1 of 6

On a recent trip to Michaels, I noticed Wilton's new pan sets--namely the paisley and diamond pans. Great shapes. They would be really fun. BUT the sides are slanted, not straight! What's up with that? It's like Wilton doesn't want to encourage professional results. I just wonder what they are thinking?

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 6

I dunno...but I have a set of Wilton 9" pans from like 8 years ago and they have slanted sides too. Its a pain in the butt, but I still use them, and just use extra icing to smooth out the sides. Seems like that would be harder on the paisley, etc shapes. I'll remember that when I'm looking for those shapes of pans.

Love2cook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Love2cook Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 6

Look at fatdaddio.com and check out their cake pans. They are fantastic.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 6

I have wiltons square pan set, what a waist of money.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:51am
post #5 of 6

The paisley have been out for a year, but the diamond did come out this year.

My guess is that the slopped sides come from it being cheaper to make that way, thin metal pressed into a shape, rather than the way the professional pans seem to be made. Which means they can sell them cheaper than the professional pans and hit a different market of people.

I have and use the square wilton pans, and they work okay. Maybe they aren't as crisp edges as others, but when I do less than 20 cakes a year I just haven't talked myself into the expense of the 'better' pans.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

Some of my recipes shrink away from the top sides so the slanted sides actually produce a straight sided cake. yeah I live in the twilight zone. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%