10.02.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm by Suzycakes

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #31 of 54

Happy Birthday poohsmomma!!

I am decorating a Wall-E cake for my sons 7th birthday tomorrow and it seems like nothing is going right!!! I am on my second batch of MMF and it is still not 100%. I don't have energy to make a third as this cake has to be done tonight. Both kids have hockey in the morning and then we are off to the party so I will not have any time in the morning... oh well, the night is still young!!!!kinda..... icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #32 of 54

You're on the right track. Dowels in the bottom tier, top tier on a cardboard. Set the cardboard and cake down on top of the dowels and you'll probably want to add a border.

I do put some coarse sugar under the board, others use cake crumbs, some use white choc shavings. Just don't use coconut as many peope seem to be allergic to it or really don't like it.

Or, just wait for the icing to crust and then set the top tier on.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #33 of 54

Happy Birthday Poohsmomma!

Did you make your own cake?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:35am
post #34 of 54

I just delivered the first cake I've ever needed to set up on site. It was a Titleist golf bag, I did the bag and then planned to pipe grass on and stick the clubs in when I got there.
Well.
The bride who ordered it (surprise groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner) didn't bother to tell me that when I walked into the venue, that WAS the party. No kitchen or even an empty hallway to set up in. So the whole family watched me unbox the cake, and then got all excited and started taking pictures. And then I pulled a piping bag out of my purse (love the looks I get from that, lol) and stuck the clubs in. I had to get on my knees to do the grass and really, it was just bizarre having 30+ people crowding around a cake watching me pipe. I kinda ran out. lol.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #35 of 54

I've got a two-tiered petal shaped cake with tinkerbell topper, a maggie simpson cupcake cake with an extra dozen cupcakes and a smoosh cake (1st bday), and two baby shower cakes for Saturday. Sunday, I have a bananas foster cheesecake and a flower pot cake for which I'm working on the parrot tulips right now. And, I work in an office fulltime - so it's gonna be a loooooooong night!

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #36 of 54

*Yawn*

This is my first visit to the Friday Night Cake club. icon_smile.gif It is almost 2:30am, waiting for the crumb coat to dry on a cake so I can get it done and hit the hay! Just thought I'd pop in to say hi!!!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:53am
post #37 of 54

Hello everyone,

I'm in the eye of the hurricane right now...finished a birthday cake and client picked it up an hour ago, happy client just called to say the birthday girl loved the cake so that's good news. Now I have a Bon Voyage 3D cake for tomorrow. Cakes in the freezer for that one. Wish me luck...it's a mini mixing bowl and a loaf of bread on a tea towel with a wooden spoon..the honored lady is a bread baker. The spoon is made, not worried about the tea towel but making the mixing bowl really look like a mixing bowl is kinda freaking me out. I have to go make the "handle" in a few minutes so it will dry enough to attach tomorrow late afternoon. Lots of handpainting silver, no airbrush here, and of all the colors I hate to paint silver. I'll post when I can tomorrow!

Have a good night!

Cat

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:56am
post #38 of 54

No cake for me. I'm holding out for chocolate pie with lots of meringue.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:14am
post #39 of 54

Hey people. I haven't been here in a while. Happy Bday Poohsmomma.

I could use some here. Does anyone know how to speed up the drying for a plaque made with RI? I know I should have done it earlier in the week but life got in the way. I need it dry by 1pm.

tesh_diggins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesh_diggins Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #40 of 54

Hi All!!!!

I am working on a 4 tier (14/12/8/6) for a birthday party for 2 13 year olds thats due tomorrow evening. I'm having to work on it during the day because I actually have to work at my "real job" at night.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:33am
post #41 of 54

I am working on a 1st birthday giant cupcake for tomorrow and a tiered baby shower cake for sunday. I am making gp zebras for the baby shower cake. I think my fingers are done. I keep breaking pieces. Time for sleepy!!! icon_biggrin.gif

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:23am
post #42 of 54

It's late! I'm finishing up a Superman cake for a friend's son who's turning 2. 1st time I've painted on fondant and also 1st time making "sugar glass"...pretty happy with how it all turned out. Can't wait to deliver it tomorrow and see his face light up.

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:14am
post #43 of 54

Hey everyone!! How are the projects coming??

I have a quick question ... i am doing some vintage style cupcakes, and i have some gold flowers and blue butter flies done already , and i am wondering should i do the butter cream ivory or just keep it white??
I need an opinion?? Thanks icon_smile.gif

AngelFood4 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:20am
post #44 of 54

I vote for ivory (my wedding colors were blue, gold & ivory icon_lol.gif )

SJ169 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 7:29am
post #45 of 54

Thanks AngelFood I really love the ivory color so thats what i was leaning towards ...okie im dying the bc right now!
thanks icon_smile.gif

SJ169 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:08am
post #46 of 54

Okie whatcha think?? Im pretty happy with them icon_smile.gif
LL

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:28am
post #47 of 54

Those cupcakes are gorgeous!

I've got a two tier baby shower cake for tomorrow night. They dont know the sex and gave me a sample of the invite to reference. pink and blue with giraffes. I made two little giraffes out fo gumpaste earlier in the week and tonight I baked and made some MMF. I'm making the bottom tier a checkerboard cake, in pink and blue. I found the pan set at Ross last week for $6 and couldn't pass it up!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:01am
post #48 of 54

Wow those cupcakes are beautiful!

2 am. Doing a Cranium board game cake for tomorrow. Just finished making ALL the game pieces and all the characters on the board. And almost done a two tier baby shower cake. Made a little fondant baby on a blankie earlier this week. So tired. Not really happy with how the baby shower cake turned out.... Maybe it will look different after 4 hours sleep icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful night everyone!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:17am
post #49 of 54

FANATASTIC cupcakes, so elegant, mine never really have that professioanl look icon_sad.gif

I had no cakes tonight, had 12 cupcakes, and 4 cakes for this week but they are all done and instead I went on a mad cleaning frenzy and washed every cutter and piece of equipment and colour bottles, and rearranged all my cupboards, etc and made things a lot easier for myself, its so easy to just shove stuff on top of each other but im determined to keep everything tidy.....wonder if my husband will notice that i just took over another drawer in the kitchen (lol) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

also just bought a load of piping bags and nozzles and a blossom sugar art cupcake cookie cutter which im dying to try!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #50 of 54

Can you tell I didn't make it very long last night friends? I did manage to crumb coat and get a good thick coat on each layer -- but then it was lights out! So now I need to get off here and get to smoothing!!

The wedding was wonderful - thanks so much for asking! An unexpected storm blew threw right before the wedding service began and when everyone left the Church there was a double rainbow! How cool! Some said that meant really good luck and others said it means twins!! The reception was at my sister's home - outdoors - so my helpers there had to rush and bring in tablecloths, arrangements, etc before the storm hit - but they did it - and it was all put back together before the guests arrived.

I am starting a new club if anyone wants to join -- I call it the "Thank Goodness I Only Have One Daughter Club!".

Suze

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:22pm
post #51 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

Gorgeous indeed! I love how you got your butterflies and flowers to have that beautiful, shiny, spun sugar look. How'd you do that???

AngelFood4 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 8:40pm
post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ169

Love the cupcakes, SJ169! The colors worked out beautifully.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #53 of 54

Suzycakes - I want to join this club!!! I know what you mean. Mine is only 17 though and guess what ... She is going to Johnson and Wales next fall to learn to be a pastry chef. How cool is that!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #54 of 54

That is cool Barb - she can take over your business for you and she can make her own wedding cake!! LOL!!

At least DD thanked me profusely during her 'speech' at the rehearsal dinner!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%