I Need Help With A Filling For A Coconut Cake...

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm by cathie_shinnick

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 12

I made a coconut cake tonight and want to tort and fill it tomorrow. I was thinking of filling it with a milk chocolate ganache but I want it to be thick like a fudge and cant seem to get ganache quite right. Has anyone ever used a fudge recipe as a cake filling, or any suggestions for a thick fudge like ganache? TIA

11 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 12

1 cup of heavy cream to 16 oz (1 lb) of chocolate will make a very thick ganache. This is the proportion I use when make truffles.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 12

yummy that sounds so good...................

cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #4 of 12

Thanks, Im going to try the ganache one more time...

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:41am
post #5 of 12

I purchase a coconut cream filling at the cake store where I buy the strawberry and raspberry filling. I add more coconut to it but it's terrific.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 12

I make my ganache the same as prterrell, it's thick but it melts in your mouth.
I also fill my coconut cake with coconut cream pie filling.
I use the recipe for cream pie in the Joy Of Cooking book and add coconut,best filling ever!!!!
For the ganache you can also use 12 oz (1 bag) chocolate chips and 2/3 cups heavy cream, it's the Hershey recipe for truffles.

cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 12

I use a coconut filling when I make a chocolate brownie cake, I love that. I tried a new coconut cake recipe yesterday and thought I would try something different as a filling. I made the ganache this morning, 2 cups of cream to 24 oz of cocolate. We will see. My family will be the taste testers tomorrow at a family football party. They are brutally(spelling ??) honest!!!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 12

Yummmmmmmm....coconut with ganache filling, why didn't I think of that? Like an almond joy...

cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 12

I even add some almonds to it sometimes......... Almond joy!!!!!!!!!!

cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 12

OK, I must really suck at the whole ganache thing. I used 2 pups of cream, 24 oz chocolate. I made it about 1 1/2 hours ago and its still very thin. I would like i tto be fudgelike. Please HELP!!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 12

she said to use 1 c. of cream to 16 oz. of chocolate, so if you use 2 cups of cream you need 2 full pounds of chocolate.

If you want it thick just as a rule of thumb use 1 part cream and 2 parts chocolate.

You can slowly reheat that ganache and add more melted chocolate to it, it's not a loss.

You need to add another 8 oz. of chocolate to the mixture you already have!

cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #12 of 12

Oh jeez....duh....feel like an idiot.... thanks, i will add more chocolate. Thanks for helping with my basic math skills!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%