Can I Borrow Your Backbone?

Business By cakedesigner59 Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 1:10pm by LaBellaFlor

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 60

I have a potential client coming for a tasting on Tues for a birthday for herself (she's turning 40). We've discussed sizes and pricing on the phone and she already told me my prices were "ridiculous". I have no backbone...I just know I'm going to cave when I meet with her on Tuesday. I was only going to charge $2.50 per serving on a 12-8 square tiered cake. She wants four different designs on the four sides, so it's almost like decorating 4 different cakes! Yet, my $2.50 per slice is "ridiculous". What do I say, just dig in my heels and keep repeating (like a mantra), "my price is my price, my price is my price...."
Help!

59 replies
LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 60

Hi Cakedesigner59--------------Catch, I'm throwing you my backbone to borrow. Seriously, your $2.50 price is beyond fair. Do not, I repeat do not waiver. The fact that someone says your price is "ridiculous" shows arrogance. She is still meeting w/you so I'll bet her mission is to brow beat you. Why not nip it in the bud and give her a call to "confirm" the meeting and reiterate your $2.50 price that is not negotiable.

Let us know how it goes

Best to you
Lisa
$3.50/serving base price ----- and people will pay it!

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 60

Why are you meeting with her if she thinks your prices are ridiculous? Sounds like a waste of time to me.

Here's my take..everyone is not my customer.

Stay strong!

Minette Rushing
My Blog www.minetterushing.typepad.com

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedesigner59

I have a potential client coming for a tasting on Tues for a birthday for herself (she's turning 40). We've discussed sizes and pricing on the phone and she already told me my prices were "ridiculous". I have no backbone...I just know I'm going to cave when I meet with her on Tuesday. I was only going to charge $2.50 per serving on a 12-8 square tiered cake. She wants four different designs on the four sides, so it's almost like decorating 4 different cakes! Yet, my $2.50 per slice is "ridiculous". What do I say, just dig in my heels and keep repeating (like a mantra), "my price is my price, my price is my price...."
Help!

Your pricing is ridiculous, it's too low! When you get together with her, tell her that you took her comment to heart, so you did some checking around, and the going rate for what she's asking for is at least $3.50 a serving. Then thank her for drawing your attention to the fact that your pricing was so ridiculously low! icon_biggrin.gif

Just remind yourself that if you went to the grocery store to get your ingredients, they're not going to give you a break on the price if you tell them that their prices are "ridiculous."

Why is she doing a tasting if she thinks your prices are too high, anyway? You know she's going to come in and try haggling with you. I see a big waste of time in your future. Don't give in to this person, or she'll tell all her friends that you're the sucker who can be bullied into a lower price! Then you'll have a whole bunch of them calling to harass you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 60

She's psyching you out ... and it's working. She's put you on the defensive and you're on the edge of the cave, practically ready to cave.

"not everyone can afford me, and that's ok."

I would start by asking her how many people and much she wants to spend. Total. Then let loose with a big exasperated sigh, pick up your pencil and pan, lean back, start doodling on the notepad, slightly shake your head, and say, "well, let's see what you can get for only that much."

YOUR turn to psych HER out. icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 60

Yeah what Lisa said--here's you a script:

Call her tonight and say that you wanted to go over your policy before the consult.

'I wanted to be sure you understood that for this size cake there's a $125 non-refundable retainer to book your cake with the balance due two (or three) weeks in advance of the date. I cannot hold the date without the retainer. Will that be a problem for you?'

If the date is within two weeks then she needs to bring it all. She's had 39 years to get this ready--no excuses.

So in that case you say:

'I understand that your birthday is October 15 so since it's within the two week window here I will need the balance in full in cash at the consult~that's two hundred and fifty dollars for the cake and twenty five dollars for the delivery for a grand total of two hundred fifty dollars depending on the design you choose of course.'

Say,

So since you called I wanted to be sure you were aware of my terms.
Do you have any questions, is there anything else I can do for you?
So looking forward to getting together Tuesday.

And screw it if she doesn't book~~use this as a practice session, seriously.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 60

K8Memphis, don't you mean the grand total of the cake would be 275? 250 for the cake + 25 for delivery = 275. I just didn't want the OP to get confused.

OP, the ball is still in your court. She's requesting to meet with you. She's asking you for your talent and services. Stand your ground, if you lower your price you're just lowering your own sense of worth. If she actually thought your prices are ridiculous, she would go elsewhere to get cheaper cake.

Perhaps you should have directions to the nearest Walmart on hand for her.

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #8 of 60

I might be inclined to include information along the lines of "Since you've indicated my pricing might be out of your range, I wanted to review about where the quote is going to come in at, before I go to the trouble and expense of baking these free samples cakes, just to have you throw me to the curb and end up ordering a sheet cake from Walmart."

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:38am
post #9 of 60

Bwahahaha....see, I'd have been done at "your prices are ridiculous!" Seriously, how is that appropriate to say to a person of business?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I might be inclined to include information along the lines of "Since you've indicated my pricing might be out of your range, I wanted to review about where the quote is going to come in at, before I go to the trouble and expense of baking these free samples cakes, just to have you throw me to the curb and end up ordering a sheet cake from Walmart."

Yeah. What she said. I think some of us know by now that what she has already exhibited is a sure sign of PITAish behavior to come. I cut those people loose before we even meet. Ahhhhhh! And have never regretted it!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 12:47am
post #11 of 60

I don't even understand why you are giving her a tasting! I just don't. She said your prices are too high, you should have said, "I understand. I hope you can find someone who meets your needs. Good Luck" & then click. You so know she is coming into hussle you. AnNd by they way, your prices are really cheap!. I just don't get it...

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #12 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

K8Memphis, don't you mean the grand total of the cake would be 275? 250 for the cake + 25 for delivery = 275. I just didn't want the OP to get confused.

Thanks --yes for sure. Duh on me.

I like how Indy put it too.

But seriously, get a script and practice and let her freaking have it. She doesn't get to insult you and rob you.

If she's letting you know in advance she's going to be a pia, pain in the ass her right back~that might not be good grammar but it's great fun, very empowering.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 60

OP you need to cancel this consult.....this person is sure to be a thorn in your side and you'll regret taking on this order.

Not every person will be able to afford your cakes, you can't lower your price just because someone tells you they're "ridiculous". That would be ridiculous.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #14 of 60

Save your samples. Dump this client.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #15 of 60

i'm so sick of peeps trying to be bullies to get their own way.
i wouldn't have booked a tasting....what's the point?

cakedesigner59 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 60

She probably already sensed that I'm weak when it comes to my pricing. I may have hemmed and hawed. I know! I'm pathetic.
The only reason I'm trying to placate her is that she is a referral from the caterer in town who throws lots of business my way. I am afraid if I disappoint this woman, I will disappoint my caterer friend, too. Sigh. Thanks for all your great suggestions. Hubby is always threatening to be my "business manager" because he says I charge too little. Perhaps I can have him sit in....

jewelsq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsq Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #17 of 60

Don't worry about disappointing the caterer who sends referrals your way. The caterer is probably VERY aware of this client's style and if not, I'm sure the caterer will be quite understanding when you explain that the client didn't have the budget to afford your services.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:09pm
post #18 of 60

I hope this is a big cake order for you to be going through the time and expense of doing a tasting for this broad. She obviously thinks she way more important than she is and she sounds like a bully. If she thinks your prices are "ridiculous" then I'd be sending her packing and say, "thanks, but no thanks."

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 60

I have not read the replies yet, but here's my opinion! When she said your prices were ridiculous, you should have said ok, good luck finding a decorator that suits you better. She's playing mind games with you!

I certainly would not make FREE samples for her....clearly she is not buying from you OR she will be the biggest pain you've ever seen!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #20 of 60

God forbid you should disappoint someone--what are you possibly thinking? Are you one of those people?

Quick add another page to your contract--

Quote:
Quote:

no one should ever be disappointed (except myself continuously) because then I will not only be your sweet cake producing handmaiden I will charge so little it will be a crying shame.

But don't worry I will give it all back. Feel better yet? Aything else I can do for you? Clean up after the party, wash your car, mow the lawn?

I can set you up on revolving payments--if I give you $10 a week will you like me then and only say nice things? Especially to the caterer lady whom I have given power over me. Please don't think I have a will of my own or that I can think for myself or that I'm ever unagreeable to everything everyone else wants. Ok $15- that's my final offer unless...
!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #21 of 60

You know I'm so sick of this myself and after a year my reply is well if you don't want to pay me the 2.50 a serving 2.75 filled then go 20 min away and pay the 4.25 and 5.75 I know I'm low but where I live there are tooooooo many people out of work.

I asked a Bride once did you try to barter for your hall or your Wedding Dress? Answer was no, then I said I'm not the flea market either. People do NOT realize the time involved and the money spent on our equipment either. I've went to the place with one Bride I picked up a gumpaste shoe maker and asked how much it cost she said 5.00 I said it was 60.00 for the Benison shoe thing. She said oh it's just a tiny piece of metal and plastic . I said do you get the point your not just paying for cake your paying for all that goes into making and baking and decorating it. Come on now!!!!!! She caved I didn't. I can't wait for this economy to pick up when it does up goes my prices.

cakedesigner59 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:26pm
post #22 of 60

I don't mean to defend the client, but she did apologize after she said my price was ridiculous. I don't think she meant any offense, she just meant it would be ridiculous for her to spend that much on herself.
I do thank you all for your help. I WILL be sticking to my prices come monday. You're right; if they fight me on it at this stage, she mostly likely is the kind of person that will never be satisfied. She will never feel she got her money's worth.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #23 of 60

" your prices are ridiculous" ...

you could always try replying "yes I told them the Same thing when i went car shopping/house buying but neither one of them would give me a discount wouldn't ya know"

well something like that anyways lol

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #24 of 60

Amen Gen Gen I say the same thing everytime I go to the grocery store and prices have went up , but sad thing is I like to eat. Hehehehehehhee....................

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #25 of 60

"Yes, prices are ridiculous, aren't they? My eggs have gone up 28% and my flour has gone up 35%. It's really hard for me to keep my prices this low when I'm fighting that kind of price increase." icon_rolleyes.gif

Way back in high school, when I worked at a fast food place, we had a lady come in every day and complained about everything. Nothing specific ... mostly passive complaining. Just snide comments. (Funny how she still came in everyday, though.) Anyway .... one day I drew the short straw and had to wait on her. She's looking at the menu and comments to her sidekick, "Look at that..... six cents for a slice of cheese! Isn't that amazing!" I smiled and said, "I know what you mean. I bought some cheese at the store last night for my mom and noticed it's something like 8 cents a slice! I'm think it's amazing, too, that we can sell it to our customers so much cheaper!"

(Yeah, I HAVE always been a smarta$$!) icon_twisted.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #26 of 60

I think the one thing to keep in the back of your mind that day you meet her is: if she is a PIA at this meeting, then she is likely to be unpleasant AFTER she receives her cake and may ask for a refund, or bad mouth the quality of your work, just to get you to cave after the fact. Just be careful and keep reading her the whole time.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #27 of 60

When I'm at a consult I have to be ready to switch from,

'I wanna get into your head and determine what kind of cake to design for you."

To:

"This is a business where I have to be careful to not commit to doing more than you are willing to pay."

These two mindsets are located way across the brain from each other--way way across deep chasms. But you gotta be ready to leap tall buildings in a single bound, forge across the swollen currents and go from one extreme to the other.

It sure isn't easy.

Do you watch Hell's Kitchen? During your consults maybe think about Gordon reaming you out for screwing up and not charging enough. Or another idea is to think about your kidlettes going without food 'cause the cupboard was bare 'cause you didn't price right.

Maybe put a photo in your folder to remind you of this conundrum--a beautiful garden & the negative of it or somethign like that--or "The Scream" or something.

Random pricing/consult thoughts for you.

edited to fix typo

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:15pm
post #28 of 60

The only reason I'm trying to placate her is that she is a referral from the caterer in town who throws lots of business my way. I am afraid if I disappoint this woman, I will disappoint my caterer friend, too.

If she is trying this with you, you can bet she is doing it to your friend also. Don't worry about disappointing them.

The only time I will quit referring to someone is if I get numerous complaints about the same issue with that person.

indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #29 of 60

Speaking as a caterer......

I refer many brides/clients to other vendors. If a vendor calls me and says, "I'm sorry I wasn't able to help that person, but she really had unreasonable expectations of what things cost", *I* would feel bad that I sent a bad referral to my fellow-vendor! icon_redface.gif

If you're concerned about what the caterer thinks, just send a short email to him/her, "Thanks for the referral for the blah-blah cake. Unfortunately, she had not allocated a proper budget for the cake design she had in mind, so we were unable to work together on her project." It's just proper to thank someone for sending potential business your way AND relays the reason you couldn't/wouldn't do the cake.

cakedesigner59 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:10pm
post #30 of 60

Gosh, do I ever wish I had you sweet and savvy gals sitting on my shoulders when I do the consult on monday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%