Cake Separators. . Do You Get Them Back??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 2:51am by indydebi

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 9

I will be stacking my first cake in a few weeks and so #1 I'm trying to figure out HOW to stack the cake. I've seen some just use dowels and cardboard rounds and other use the plastic separators. . .which should I do?

#2. . if you use the plastic separators, do you get them back? Or do they just stay with the customer and that is added into the cost of the cake?

Thanks!

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 9

Use the SPS system and include the price into the cake. Instructions are on a sticky at the top of the "How Do I" forum. You can purchase them at global sugar art and oasis.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

For the cake structure I charge a $25.00 deposit. If it is not returned I have my price covered. If the customer wants to keep (for whatever reason) I just add the $25.00 in the price.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 9

I roll everything into the price of the cake and call it a day.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:27am
post #5 of 9

I would include it in the price of cake too.I used cardboard before and it worked good.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 9

I build the cost of the support/plates into the cake.

I used to do the deposit thing but found it was just added paperwork and too much trouble tracking everything down.

For an average 3 or 4 tier cake it's under $20 for the support/plate system.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 9

I tell my bride that if she brings me back the support pieces then she will get $25 refunded. There are times I rent out cake stands as well and those have a higher deposit with no option not to return it. But,yes, always cover your cost of your supports.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 9

I use a double cardboard so I can hammer a dowel down the center. For you that use the SPS if you don't run a dowel down the center how do you keep the cake from shifting or moving? How many tiers can you transport at one time with that system?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:51am
post #9 of 9

Build it in and forget about it. To me, it's not worth the gas for $10 or $15 worth of plastic.

I don't use plastic separators in stacked cakes anymore. dowels and cardboard work ok for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%