In Desperate Need Of Suggestions?!/!?!?!?

Decorating By maryrocha3 Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 1:23am by sadsmile

maryrocha3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryrocha3 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, so i am in the process of making a cigar box cake, complete with cigars and all... I need some suggestions on the lid...I am wanting to have it an opened box, but am having difficulty figuring out how to keep the lid standing?!?!

Does anyone have any idea or suggestions?

Also do u all think i should use fondant for the lid, or maybe royal icing?

i am attaching a photo of a cake i am using as a guide..

Thanks in advance for your suggestionsicon_smile.gif
LL
LL

5 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

I would cover cardboard in fondant, stick a few bamboo skewers into it and then the other side into the cake. I would go for a straight up lid, not an angled one. You could also make the pid piece extend all the way down the backside and to the base (more stable) and just decorate it so it looks like the lid just starts where it should.

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #3 of 6

How "open" do you want it?

Full open? Hide some skewers inside

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #4 of 6

I think that is a real piece of wood with hinges or something non-edible on the back where you can't see in the picture. I hope you are charging enough for this. looks like a brain buster to me. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

maryrocha3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryrocha3 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 6

i was thinking about a slight angle, but your idea sounds really good, i think i just might make it all the way down and make it look like its just a lid...

and im not charging for this one icon_sad.gif lol its for my husbands boss...I will post some pics when i am done with it...

(crossing fingers) its works out..

thanks for the advice

xoxo

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #6 of 6

Yeah just make the box closed and lay a nice couple of cigars beside it. An open lid is pretty tricky and delicate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%