Painting On Buttercream...ed Hardy!?!

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 3 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm by BlondiezBakery

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 25

I have a 3 tiered Ed Hardy cake to do, and I am freaked out!! I am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I wish I had an airbrush gun!

Do you think it is ok to paint on buttercream? I am worried about the brush digging into the icing.

Help me!

24 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 25

Anyone have any advice?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 25

Somebody just asked the same question earlier in the week -- can you paint on buttercream? You might want to look for that thread.

Someone posted a gorgeous photo of a cake she'd handpainted. She said to just make sure the frosting is nicely crusted, then thin out some food coloring with almond extract and go for it. HTH.

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 25

Make sure the cake is chilled enough for the buttercream to harden, then paint. Check out my first two pictures in "My Photos" to see 2 cakes I painted. The effect is really pretty!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 25

You also might want to invest in a really soft brush. This will help to lessen any brush marks or the possibility of scratching into the buttercream.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 25

I'd love to see this when it's finished, will you please post pics?! I'm not a fan of tattoos at ALL, but for some reason I really love the Ed Hardy stuff!

BlondiezBakery Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks so much for all of the help! Chilling the cakes seems so obvious now, but I totally didnt think of it.

I will certainy post pictures when it is all complete. Wish me luck. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 25

Beautiful cakes, Tide89.

Who or what is Ed Hardy?

Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 25

He's a fashion designer whose designs are showing up on everything right now. John Gosselin wears his designs all the time LOL. It looks like tattoos; very bright and colorful, hearts with wings, skulls, roses, etc. Just google Ed Hardy and you will have find enough images to keep you busy looking for quite a while!

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 25

Oh, I can't wait to see pics when you are done! Good luck!

cutthecake: Ed Hardy is basically a new line of clothing from designer Christian Audigier. It's basically a lot of old school tattoo designs on over priced clothing. icon_wink.gif

Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 25

Oh, see?! That's how much I know about fashion! I thought Ed Hardy WAS the designer! LOL

cutthecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 25

Me. too, Callyssa! I'm so out of touch with pop culture.
I thought Ed Hardy was Stan Laurel's partner's brother (Oliver Hardy).

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:25pm
post #13 of 25

who is Stan Laurel (jk lol) He was a kid when I was a teenager lol

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:34pm
post #14 of 25

That would be a cool cake!! I want to see!

Audigier was the head designer for Von Dutch. Ed Hardy was trained by Sailor Jerry,
the most renowned tattoo artist.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 25

And thanks to Jogn Gosselin, Ed Hardy stuff is lame now. icon_sad.gif

Airbrushing is the way to give designs like that true justice.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 25

I mean, I love Ed Hardy designs, but I wouldn't be caught dead in them now...thanks J.G.! Doh!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 25

I know CakeMakar, I was just kidding around because I am so old and I have a tattoo on my ankle ( a heart with two half moons ) for my daughter and two grandaughters. Love it but hurt too much to get anymore lol

mrsw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsw Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #18 of 25

Didn't I just see a cake in the favorites not too long ago where the decorator used royal icing to outline the tattoos and filled them in with gel? That could be a way to go too.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #19 of 25

I did an Ed Hardy cake (it wasn't all that, unfortunately), but it was painted on buttercream too and it was really tricky. There are so many details and as careful as I was to make sure there wasn't too much liquid, there were some drip issues, lol.

I would paint on fondant from now on but if buttercream is a must, I would make sure mix thicker paint then I did. Maybe use powder instead of liquid? HTH and have fun!! I am going to do another one for my husband this year, on fondant instead and hopefully it will turn out better.

Callyssa Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 25

[quote="LURVELY"]And thanks to Jogn Gosselin, Ed Hardy stuff is lame now. icon_sad.gif

I agree!!

cutthecake Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:16pm
post #21 of 25

I just searched the cc gallery for Ed Hardy cakes and found two pages. Lots of skeletons.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:09am
post #22 of 25

Tatorchip, I wasn't meaning to say anything about your response. I was just giving more info, not directed at anyone in particular icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73, your Ed Hardy cake is fantastic!

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 25

A couple of weeks ago, someone posted an Ed Hardy cake and it was incredible. Anyone remember who posted it?

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:01pm
post #24 of 25

i did an ed hardy cake about a month ago and instead of using royal icing or painting it, i used fondant. i basically printed out the design i wanted on a piece of paper. then i tinted all of my fondant and then one color at a time i rolled it VERY THIN. i placed the fondant on clear vinyl (that had been sprayed with pam) and then put that vinyl on top of the printed design. i then taped it up to my sliding door window where the sun was coming in and cut out the pieces with an exacto knife. then i was like a puzzle, putting all the pieces together on the cake. it worked like a charm and i was happy with the overall effect! you could do the each desig on a piece of fondant and then just attach the piece to your buttercream.
LL

BlondiezBakery Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #25 of 25

All done! Thanks for the help and support. Click on 'my photos' to see the end resutls. icon_smile.gif

It was so much easier than I expected, and a lot of fun! I did make sure that the cakes were nice and chilled and had been iced an entire day before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%