Sneaky Customer. And Rich Too!

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 16 Oct 2009 , 8:40am by three_sets_of_twins

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 18

So I get a phone call from a customer who tasted my cake balls at her sisters baby shower, and wanted some for her upcoming wedding.
Now usually at weddings Im used to making a pretty penny, but she only wanted 100 cake balls, which isnt much for a wedding? Tried to tell her she needed more, she just wants 100. fine. Not my usual huge profit for a wedding, but it's got a lot of high society people in there and business cards can be passed out.
So anyway, keep in mind this woman is from a very well known rich family. Kinda like the hiltons in the states. They own a hotel, a wedding hall, and a hospital.
So she asks how much 100 cake balls will be, I tell her it depends on the flavors, we agree on a price.
Then she asks how much do I charge to decorate the tray the balls will be served on, I tell her I do that free of charge, something I like to add in. (It costs me like....$2 to decorate a tray. She says great.
Well little miss sneaky then sends me a message saying she still wants only 100 cake balls, but wants them devided onto 12 small trays, and for me to decorate all of them. uuh? wtf? I can decorate A TRAY for free, but not 12!!!!
ugh im smsing her back tomorrow telling her that if she wants 12 trays decorated then shes gonna be charged for it. I make my own bows and stuff and it is time and effort to make that many. and all for what I consider a small order.
Her wedding is in one of the most expensive hotels here! Movenpick! Why skimp so much on your desserts for your guests?!?!?!

17 replies
adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:00am
post #2 of 18

.... 100 cake balls can't even be evenly distributed amongst 12 trays. (i know, because i whipped out a calculator! icon_biggrin.gif ) that really is sneaky. i'm glad you told her you'll be charging her for them! like we all need to do: stand strong!! don't let her weasel TWELVE FREE trays outta you!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 18

How do you divide 100 by 12 evenly?? It doesn't work, comes out to 8.3

sounds like she Is super cheap and Thinks she's brilliant

three_sets_of_twins Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #4 of 18

I know, the 12 didnt make sense to me either.
And yes very cheap. I think she said something about their being 12 tables, and each table having 10 chairs. So thats 120 settings? She didnt even order 120 cake balls? Maybe she's off on the math.
But I do think making an order 2 months in advance, then a couple weeks before the event send me that sms, is sneaky and weasely.
She even said something about owning a small college in another town, and that the college had a coffee shop that she wanted me to be the dessert provider for. I think she was saying all that BS so I'd be willing to take this order?
I REALLY dont need this order. I have a good customer base and the only thing that made me consider it was that her other rich hotel owning friends would be there and maybe more customers in the future...
Havent called her yet but will tomorrow. I'll keep yall posted. If she doesnt want it any more no big deal to me.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 18

That's just REALLY weird. Why isn't she ordering her candies from whoever is doing her desserts/cake???

That makes no sense.

BTW your cake truffles look yummy!!! Nice work.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #6 of 18

On this side of the globe, when you have your wedding in a hotel, everything is provided by the hotel. The open buffet, the dessert bar, and the wedding cake.
Wedding cakes arent that big a thing here sadly. Not elaborate gorgeous ones. There are several wedding cake shops open here but dont do very well, as the people of course think "Hey im getting a wedding cake in my package why buy one". The only thing the hotel does not provide is the hours de veurs (sp?!) and little snacky things at the reception. Thats where I come in. icon_smile.gif
I got married here. We payed a hefty sum to the hotel, about 8000 dollars. That included the hall, the party room,(all decorated by them-if you want your own decor pay for it, but their decor was nice) the dining room, the buffet, dessert bar, and 6 tier wedding cake. nothing like yalls cakes. Just plain white with royal icing swirls aroound it and tasted like cardboard. I dont know how much a wedding costs in the states so I dont know if 8000USD is considered a lot or a little?
I got married in the sheriton, shes getting married at movenpic which is more expensive. I am going to also suggest to her to at least provide each person with 3 cake balls.
And thank you kitagrl very much icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #7 of 18

Sounds like a customer I have call. She's loaded, and doesn't mind flashing it, except when it comes to lowly cake people/florists/painters--you know us labor types.

She NEVER is happy with my price!! I realize this is an exaggeration (but honestly not far from the truth)--but she will ask if I don't cross the "t' on the cake if she can get a discount--what if you do 100, instead of 75 cookes, will I get a discount.. this is for the church..can I get a discount.

I told her I wouldn't even consider working for her the last time she called--I don't have time for someone who has no respect for what I do.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 18

Some of the richest people are the cheapest...how do you think some of them got so rich? icon_wink.gif Then there are the rich ones who love to spend but i know quite a few 'rich' people who fall into the first category. They are always look'in for a bargin, and a way to stretch their money, even if they have pocket fulls of the stuff.

Sorry you are frustrated with this customer. I hope you can resolve the matter promptly, in a fair way to both you and her. I have to agree with you on the charging for doing up so many plates..that takes a lot more time and money. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #9 of 18

Three sets....in my area alot of caterers provide cakes too!!!! I'm actually having somewhat of a hard time getting my foot in the door with weddings....if they don't get the cake included with the caterer, they often try to go with one of the "big name" bakeries in Philly...

I guess it depends on the area....I do see what you are saying though...and that makes alot more sense why she ordered truffles from you.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Some of the richest people are the cheapest...how do you think some of them got so rich? icon_wink.gif Then there are the rich ones who love to spend but i know quite a few 'rich' people who fall into the first category. They are always look'in for a bargin, and a way to stretch their money, even if they have pocket fulls of the stuff.

Sorry you are frustrated with this customer. I hope you can resolve the matter promptly, in a fair way to both you and her. I have to agree with you on the charging for doing up so many plates..that takes a lot more time and money. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

This is true!!! Actually I've seen people order my cakes who really shouldn't be able to afford them...the richer people try to pinch pennies while sometimes (not always) the middle to lower incomes will wait til their check comes on Friday and buy an expensive cake.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #11 of 18

...there is penny pinching and then there is pinching Penny until she screams!

Some of what I've seen displayed is absolute rudeness and looking down the nose at us common merchants.

And I'm all about saving a dime, but I also know that the best quality don't come cheap!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 18

It sounds to me like your trays are going to be the centerpieces. Tell her to call a florist.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:37am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

This is true!!! Actually I've seen people order my cakes who really shouldn't be able to afford them...the richer people try to pinch pennies while sometimes (not always) the middle to lower incomes will wait til their check comes on Friday and buy an expensive cake.

You're right, a lot of the people here too have barely any money, live in houses some people would describe as shacks, but when it's time for their kids birthdays, they really go all out...huge cake, bouncy castle, clown, rented tables and chairs, BBQ to feed 100 relatives...it's amazing. I try not to get invited to those kinds of parties, I don't want my kids to get the idea that kind of party is even possible.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #14 of 18

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt...maybe she's not trying to be deceptive, maybe she's just ignorant. Perhaps she planned on setting the tray on a buffet table, but some well-meaning mother/friend/aunt said, "Oh, but wouldn't it be cute to have a tray on each table?!" And since you had already told her that it was free to have the tray decorated, she may have thought it would be free for all twelve. Just tell her that the price of the cake balls includes ONE decorated tray; additional trays will be $xx.xx each.

As far as rich people pinching pennies goes...often, that's WHY they're rich. My parents were always frugal and saved at least 10% of their earnings; they always had more than enough to cover their needs, but they did not live extravagantly. One of my dad's coworkers made the same amount as my dad, plus his wife worked (my mom didn't), and he was always in debt because he spent everything he made on things he didn't really need. If everyone would be more careful with how they spend their money, our country wouldn't be in such dire financial straits. That being said, there's a difference between frugal and cheap! There's no excuse for being rude to someone, no matter how rich you are.

Edited to add: $8000 is about what my wedding cost 6 years ago; again, it was nice, but not extravagant.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 18

So what happened Three Sets of Twins?

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:42am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

It sounds to me like your trays are going to be the centerpieces......

Exactly my thought.

Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:25am
post #17 of 18

so sorry I never posted back people. My computer shut down after that and just got it fixed. I've been lurking around though through my cell phone and it sure aint fun typing on that tiny thing!
Well I called her and explained. ugh.
She said it was ok ( but is now not sure if she wants to decorate the trays)and that she for sure wants 100 cake balls she just doesnt know what she wants me to do with them. She doesnt know if she wants them boxed or on a tray or normal style or bride and groom style. Even till this day (and the wedding is on the 23rd) she is STILL telling me she knows she wants the balls but is still thinking what style she wants. ughhh.
When I suggested she raise the amount of ball to at least 150 she gets defensive (like im calling her cheap) and explains to me that my cake balls are NOT going to be the ONLY dessert on the table and that there will be other stuff too and raves about some chocolate covered marshmallows she got shipped in from some where (marshmallows? big deal?) And then tells me about these WONDERFUL pink cotton candy dipped in chocolate (EWWWW cotton candy balls???? Ive never heard of those and they sound gross?) that she is also getting. I said fine, it was just a suggestion.
So I guess we're still on she (and I ) dont know what we're doing. She called me about my stacked wedding cake brownies to ask about them but never got back to me so I guess she didnt like the price of that either.
I'm going to sms her tonight and tell her that tomorrow is her deadline to tell me what she wants or I cant take the order, cos these cake balls take work.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Oct 2009 , 8:40am
post #18 of 18

ok she sent me a picture lol.
Sorry I just think "cotton candy balls" arent my thing...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%