Magnificent Cake With Thousands Of Flowers Pricing

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm by JulieMN

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 22

Calling all experts in quoting cakes with sugar flowers.

I've been asked to make this cake for someone I know. She only has 150 attendees and wants this huge cake but may consider a 4 tier cake. I hardly ever work with GP flowers so I don't know what to charge for the flowers. A baker friend outside of the States told me that if she makes the flowers she would charge $1700 for it and thinks that the makers of this beauty charged about $3K. How much can I reasonably (for me and the bride) charge for something like this?

Pricing considerations:

tapered tiers (maybe 6, 8, 10, 12 & 14 tapered)
fondant iced in hot pink
amount of flowers

I'd appreciate your help on this.
LL

21 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 22

Oh oh! I got it! And it even rhymes sorta! icon_wink.gif

"A magnificent cake with thousands of flowers should have a magnificent price of thousands of dollars."

Seriously. icon_biggrin.gif Good luck, that is gorgeous, and I would be beside myself if I got that job!

CakeDesigns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 22

_Jamie_ you are too funny but completely right. icon_lol.gif

I am beside myself and I'm looking for someone who can make the flowers to make it easier for me. Wish me luck.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 22

Well, you can simplify it right off the bat. Let's see. I see apple blossoms, cherry blossom/blooms on stems, a couple of largish calla lilies, and a bunch of mini callas. There a re afew wholesale sites online where you can get these super cheap! Unfinished flowers, even cheaper, you can dust them up yourself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 22

"Reasonably charge"? icon_eek.gif You charge what it's worth. If she wants the Rolls Royce of cakes, then she has to pony up the Rolls Royce bucks. Otherwise, she gets the Chevy cake to fit her Chevy budget.

Some cost savers might be to have silks at the base of the bottom tier and perhaps a silk or live floral arrangement on the top.

But if she wants someone to spends those kind of hours making all of those sugar flowers, then she should be ready to pay for the time it takes. Period.

CakeDesigns Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

"Reasonably charge"?

I wanted to change that word but I couldn't go back to edit. I meant fair. I want to be fair with me because sometimes I forget how much work is involved in these cakes and undercharge. Thank you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDesigns

Quote:
Quote:

"Reasonably charge"?

I wanted to change that word but I couldn't go back to edit. I meant fair. I want to be fair with me because sometimes I forget how much work is involved in these cakes and undercharge. Thank you.

Ok, then you're forgiven! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 22

I'd buy some of the flowers on the bottom (gumpaste)....I'd just make the little ones.

Then I'd calculate how many servings total, even if some layers are dummy layers....

At least $12/serving I'd say.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 22

Now only does that cake have rediculous flowers, those layers all look a little tapered. They are not regular cake layers. I can definetly see $2700 for 150 servings. That cake is SO beautiful.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 22

With all of those flowers, even if you buy them and don't make them, raise the price WAY up. That cake is more than a 150 serving cake so maybe dummy tiers are not a bad idea with this cake. I'd say 3K seems like a deal for such a cake.

Hope you get the job!

Cat

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 22

OMG! That's a LOT of flowers. I think I would stick to the blossoms & cala lillies if you're wanting to make some of the flowers. there are TONS of little blossoms, but dh, kids, mom, etc can help w/ those. Not only do they have to be cut out, but dried, centers impressed & filled & applied to the cake (that'll take forever!) I counted (tried not to go cross-eyed) & came up w/ these estimates. "Bunch" on left side of 2nd tier--100; rt side 3rd tier--200; lft side of 4th tier--300. The small "v" bunches of the darker pink, about 10 per bunch. Small blossom border--50-75; large blossom border 200-300. so just right there, not on the sides or top or topper there are 1000-1200 little blossoms.

Don't sell yourself short. If anything i think i'd try to talk her into some silks or a less elaborate design

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 22

Gorgeous gorgeous cake! Wow! I too hope you get the job! thumbs_up.gif
For me, as a customer, I wouldn't expect to pay less than 3K for a cake like this. As the decorator, I would charge the same 3K I would pay for it! icon_smile.gif

Have you all been to D'Reyes website and looked at some of his other cakes?? icon_eek.gif Huge cakes! Lots of huge cakes! Here is his website link, http://www.dreyescakes.com/ It is in spanish but easy to navigate nonetheless. icon_smile.gif

CakeDesigns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 22

Thank you very much to all. I have a very good idea of the pricing now. I will talk to the bride and the woman who is paying for the cake to see what they think. I'd love to do this beauty even though I know it won't be as pretty but I'd like the challenge. I'll keep you updated.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 22

I can't wait to see your version of it CakeDesigns! icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 22

Looking at the little flowers actually on the cake itself, they look like they've been done with a blossom plunger cutter.

Very, very easy, but DON'T under-estimate how long they'll take.

Can't help with the other flowers on the cake, I'm afraid.

It IS gorgeous..... good luck with it! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh oh! I got it! And it even rhymes sorta! icon_wink.gif

"A magnificent cake with thousands of flowers should have a magnificent price of thousands of dollars."

Omg--you are too funny!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #17 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #18 of 22

This cake would fall in my level 3 category with fondant so $12.00 per serving

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 22

If you charge anything less than $2,500 for that cake I will come over there and smack you icon_confused.gif As it is you'd be giving it away for that price! Good gravy, it would take me weeks to make all those flowers!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

If you charge anything less than $2,500 for that cake I will come over there and smack you icon_confused.gif As it is you'd be giving it away for that price! Good gravy, it would take me weeks to make all those flowers!

What she said! icon_lol.gif

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #21 of 22

LOL!!! Jamie!!

Holy ole smolies, that's one amazing cake!!!
I'd tack on the price of a day at the spa...because you are going to be tired of making all those flowers!!LOL

Can't wait to see the pics!!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #22 of 22

Curious about the outcome of this situation....would you be willing to share?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%