My Daughter Has The Flu And She's So Scared

Lounge By Texas_Rose Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 12:03am by summernoelle

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 20

My 4 year old has the flu. We just got back from the doctor's office. He was very calm about it, but he said they've been out of flu medicine in the county for two weeks, so all we can really do is treat the cough and fever, and give her plenty of water to drink, and keep her home from school until she's better. He never mentioned which flu she had but they're not testing for it anymore, just assuming that's what it is. It's not regular flu season yet though.

So we got out to the car and she started crying hysterically. When she calmed down enough to talk, she said, "I'm going to die like those big kids on the news. I have the swine flu." I keep reassuring her but she's just really scared. I don't even know what to tell her. She's not that bad off, just the fever, chills, red eyes and a cough.

19 replies
ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 20

Awe! icon_sad.gif I am so sorry to hear that. It is just heartbreaking when I child gets so frightened.

My prayers are with you.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 20

I hope she feels better soon. I'll be praying for her.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 20

the country is not out of tamiflu. They are only giving it to high risk cases. Maybe you can come up with some fun things to do at home while she is sick to keep her mind off of it.....

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 20

Poor baby, hold her till she falls asleep, then go rub her little head every once in a while, she will notice and feel safer, I will also pray for her and you

Texas_Rose Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

the country is not out of tamiflu. They are only giving it to high risk cases. Maybe you can come up with some fun things to do at home while she is sick to keep her mind off of it.....

No, he said our county was out of flu medicine, not the whole country. So even if he prescribed it we wouldn't be able to find it anywhere. And because of my asthma, we are considered high risk, but still no medicine.

We rented some movies and got her a bunch of popsicles, ice cream, juice, etc...she's not really up to doing anything, just laying under a pile of blankets on the couch whimpering and holding onto a bowl because she thinks she's going to puke.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 20

omg i am soo sorry. i totally misread it. is there not a county near by that you can get some from?

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 20

Please tell her that my daughter had it and she is just fine now. icon_smile.gif She felt really bad for a couple of days and then she felt better.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 20

Oh poor little thing.....feel better Val, all your Mom's CC friends are sending you a big hug!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 20

Isn't it a horrible feeling you get when your child is scared. I hope she feels better soon.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 20

icon_sad.gif Going to add your angel and your family to my prayers list. Hope she soon feels better!

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 20

Thanks, friends! She's feeling a little better. I gave her some motrin because the tylenol didn't seem to be bringing the fever down enough, and it's down to 100. Then I gave her a bubble bath and painted her toenails, and she's feeling well enough to sit up on the couch and watch movies now (as opposed to sitting under the blanket with one eye showing, whimpering).

She seems to get really scared about things sometimes, things that she's obviously thought a lot about. We hadn't even mentioned swine flu around her, so it had to be just what she's heard from watching the news. This isn't the first time she's had some complicated fear...the other night she was sleeping in my bed and she woke up because the blinds were moving a little bit, and she thought someone was going to come in and shoot us. It was the fan moving the blinds.

It's funny, I have one kid who's like a sponge when it comes to absorbing knowledge, and my other one is more like a colander icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif a little clueless. When my older one got home from school, Sophie explained to her that she has swine flu like people on TV, and got the hand sanitizer from the bathroom and told Val she needs to use it a lot until Sophie's better.

Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 20

Oooops....I automatically assumed it was little Val that was sick when I wrote my post above.

How is little Sophie feeling today? Hopefully much better. icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 20

Glad to hear she's a bit better - that's the good thing about little kids when they get sick - it always seems to come and go quickly!

Hope she continues to improve over the weekend.

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:35pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Oooops....I automatically assumed it was little Val that was sick when I wrote my post above.

How is little Sophie feeling today? Hopefully much better. icon_smile.gif

That's okay! I was impressed that you remembered one of my kids' names at all!

She's doing better. Either this flu isn't that bad, or the flu doesn't knock kids on their butts the way it does to adults...I had the flu about 10 years ago and I definitely wasn't as perky as Sophie is today.

Part of it might be that I kept Val home from school today too...I'm probably a bad mom for doing that, Val had a headache but not enough fever to justify keeping her home, but I kept her so she could keep Sophie company, and so that if Val got sicker during the day, I wouldn't have to drag Sophie over to the school to pick her up.

Deb_ Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 20

LOL....I only remember the names of the REALLY important member's children. icon_lol.gif

Kids do seem to bounce back quick....that's great she's feeling better.

Being Friday I would have kept Val home too.....you're definitely not a bad Mom. Hopefully she won't get the flu too.

Stay well!

Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 20

Hi,
How's little Sophie feeling today?

Hopefully she's up and running again and here's hoping that nobody else in your house comes down with the flu!

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for asking!

She's all better...the fever went away by Saturday. I don't think it was the flu, because it only lasted three days.

I found out that the doctor either didn't know medicine was available or lied to us icon_sad.gif I talked to the nurse and some teachers at the school today and they said there were lots of families in the school with at least one child with the flu...and that all of those families were all being treated with flu medicines, not just the sick child but everyone. So I don't know why our doctor didn't prescribe it, since he thought it was the flu.

I think it's time to find a new doctor...I had been thinking of switching to a female pediatrician now that Val's starting to develop. This is a good motivation to switch.

Deb_ Posted 5 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 20

I'm glad she's better.

It may be that your doc didn't receive enough of the medicine and he ran out, hopefully that's the case.

Having a female pediatrician is a good idea for girls. My kid's pediatrician hired a female doctor when my DD was about 11 and I switched her over.

She was very comfortable with her....in fact she stayed with her right through high school.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #20 of 20

Poor little girl!

With my own children, I try to be very honest with them-so I would tell her that the other kids who had died usually had something else wrong-their lungs were sick before. My kids know all about their immune systems (I call it their army, their white blood cells are their soldiers, etc) and diseases (bad bugs) and it helps.

I am scared my DD might be coming down with it. In the past hour, she has gotten a splitting head ache and feels warm. She is also 4. icon_sad.gif

I hope she feels better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%