This Cake Was Cursed

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm by __Jamie__

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 4

I decided to make a anniversary cake for hubby and myself. The top teir is 4 inches and the bottom is 6. My first attempt at covering the top resulted in elephant skin fondant so I pulled it off for a second try. It pulled a few bits of cake off with it which made my second try lumpy. I just couldn't get the bottom of the fondant to smooth against the cake, it had too many 'ruffles' and ended up (as you can see) puckered.

I got my new diamond quilter from global sugar art and thought it would be easy peasy.... it was NOT icon_cry.gif I read on here to make the imprints with that and then go over it with wilton's wheel cutter to create that 'puffy' look. As you can see, it didn't work out so well. Not sure what went wrong there icon_confused.gif

Any tips would be much appreciated.... I can't wait to cut up this cake so I don't have to look at it anymore. icon_sad.gif
LL

3 replies
luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 4

There's very little puckering and the diamond print looks great - I have no idea what the problem is - with a ribbon around the tiers it would be flawlessicon_smile.gif Excellent jobicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 4

Look at my pink one. I use the three diamond copper cutter for quilting. You need to press in much harder than that, and maybe evn go over it a couple of times. The fondant (for me) anyways needs to be on chilled cake so you don't get squishing. I know some prefer room temp, fine, same results.

Also, why are there half diamonds at the bottom? You line up the cutter so the point of the diamond is resting on your board. I do anyways.

I have never been able to get that Wilton wheel to work. It for surely broke for good when I threw it against the wall. Order a PME wheel. You'll be happy.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 4

Oh nevermind about the half diamonds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%