Health Inspection

Business By suzylynn58 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 11:56am by kakethings

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:50am
post #1 of 23

Hi fellow cakers ~ I have my health dept inspection this morning! Appreciate any prayers that all the ducks are in a row! I'll post some pictures of my kitchen later.

Susan

22 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:20am
post #2 of 23

That's so exciting! I'm sure it'll go great! Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures!

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #3 of 23

Suzy- You will do great! They aren't as bad as some people think. As long as you have done your homework, you will pass with flying colors. Good Luck, and please let us know how you did. I would also like to see your pictures. icon_cool.gif

Julie53 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 23

That was supposed to be a smiley face- not enough coffee.... You go girl!

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 23

thumbs_up.gif BEST OF LUCK!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 23

So how did it go??? I'm having my plumbing inspection tomorrow for my new store.

then, the Buildings dept.
then, the fire dept.,
then the health dept...

then I'm going on vacation. icon_biggrin.gif

suzylynn58 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 23

It went very well! I passed, with just a couple things to get done before opening, maybe next week! He was there for a total of 15 minutes. I will see if I can get some pics up.
LL
LL

suzylynn58 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #8 of 23

For some reason, it won't let me upload any more. I will try again tomorrow.

suzylynn58 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:31am
post #9 of 23

more pics

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:50am
post #10 of 23

Your kitchen looks great. You should have no problem. I would love to come make a mess in it for you. hahaha

The media has made health insp. look mean. They are really nice helpful people.

Good luck on your grand opening

letsgetcaking Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 23

It looks so spacious. I love it! Congratuations!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 23

Wow, nice place! Is that in your basement? Do you have cupboards too? Just trying to get ideas for my own home-based biz.

suzylynn58 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 23

Thanks! I wish I had pics of it before the construction. It was a mess! It is not in my basement. We don't have basements in Louisiana. LOL!!! I wanted to use a portable building on my property, but we are on a mechanical sewer and the Health Dept would have required us to put in a commercial system. $$$$$

So a friend of mine who owns a building in town offered to let me use it. They even did the remodeling. It was a SWEET deal and I appreciate them very much. Very blessed!!

I am only using the rooms that you see in the pictures and will still have to store most of my catering stuff at home. But if in a couple years, my biz is successful and profitable, I will be looking for a larger space.

I may need to resize my pics. Don't know why it wouldn't let me upload them.

suzylynn58 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:03am
post #14 of 23

okay when i resized, it let me post the pics! I love my big table. it is the one I had in my restaurant a few years ago. it is 4 X 8 and will give me room to work with BC on one side and Fondant on the other. WooHoo!! no more having to totally transform my work area!!!

My fridge I got for a STEAL!!! It was pretty dirty, but some elbow grease was worth the $2000 I saved!

Got to pick up a used speed rack today and get some more stuff moved in today. Hopefully will be baking there next week!!!

Thanks for looking!
LL
LL
LL

letsgetcaking Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 3:28pm
post #15 of 23

Wow! It's like a dream kitchen! Congrats, again!

alexj9988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexj9988 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 23

I was just thinking that I couldn't get away with that floor in louisiana! We had a restaraunt here in Laffy, and we wanted to change out the floor with some tile we had, but we were told all kitchen floors must be white/off white (or at least very light) to pass inspection. I wonder if the rules are different for bakeries? BTW, I love your kitchen!! I am green with envy! What part of LA are you in?

Julie53 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 23

Congrats again! Your kitchen is wonderful... I wish that I had one. Well, now to the hard part-happy caking!

suzylynn58 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #18 of 23

I am in Dequincy which is located almost half way between DeRidder and Lake Charles. My inspector said my floor did not have to be light colored, just easy to clean and water resistant. That is something called Konecto on my floor. It looks like wood but is vinyl.

I love it! As soon as I can get some liability insurance, i will be ready to open and get to the hard work = caking/catering. I hold a full time job as well. This is going to be my retirement job.

Thanks for the compliments!

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm
post #19 of 23

It's so dreamy! I love it! I especially love..love...LOVE your huge table! Fantastic!

kakethings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakethings Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

So how did it go??? I'm having my plumbing inspection tomorrow for my new store.

then, the fire dept.,
then the health dept...

then I'm going on vacation. icon_biggrin.gif

Did you suzllynn58 had to have all this done? you're in louisiana right.

'm having my plumbing inspection tomorrow for my new store.

then, the fire dept.,
then the health dept..

please give me any information. I am trying to turn this place into a bakery am I gonna need all this. my husband have done construction, and plumbing. But is not licensed, i was hoping to save some money.

suzylynn58 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:24am
post #21 of 23

I think it depends on the city where you live as far as plumbing inspections, etc. Since mine is strictly a kitchen with no public access and no commercial stove or fryers, fire marshall was not interested and city (small rural town) did not required a lot of inspections, just HD, which I passed.

NOW - my long range (2 - 5) years is to move to a larger facility, so in that case, I will have all those inspections.

Kakethings, where are you located?

Susan

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:42am
post #22 of 23

suzylynn58, your kitchen is wonderful. I am so envious. What a dream to have such a great space all to yourself. That table is fantastic.
Happy happy caking!
icon_smile.gif

kakethings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakethings Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 11:56am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I think it depends on the city where you live as far as plumbing inspections, etc. Since mine is strictly a kitchen with no public access and no commercial stove or fryers, fire marshall was not interested and city (small rural town) did not required a lot of inspections, just HD, which I passed.

NOW - my long range (2 - 5) years is to move to a larger facility, so in that case, I will have all those inspections.

Kakethings, where are you located?

Susan

harvey louisiana

did it take you long to get things done?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%