Anyone Know How If We Can Make Our Own Silicon Lace Molds?

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm by -Tubbs

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

I am shopping for some lace molds and holy cow, those puppies are wicked expensive! I was just wondering if there was any way to make these ourselves? I know they sell the silicon 'mix' at Micheal's and I'm sure it's more complicated then I think but I will have a fit if I order these molds only to find out I could have made them.

I made a lace wedding cake this weekend, painted gold and wasn't happy with how the lace came out. (I just used a piece of lace rolled over the fondant for texture) and of course the details weren't deep enough. Once painted, you could hardly tell there was any texture at all...... such a bummer.

Ok, well thanks icon_wink.gif

***Also, for anyone who has used these molds, is it difficult to get clean edges? Do you roll the fondant over the mold and then roll with your pin, then trim before removing? Or do you have to hand-trim each piece with a kraft knife? (nightmare!!) icon_cry.gif I hope not!

4 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:57am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am shopping for some lace molds and holy cow, those puppies are wicked expensive! I was just wondering if there was any way to make these ourselves? I know they sell the silicon 'mix' at Micheal's and I'm sure it's more complicated then I think but I will have a fit if I order these molds only to find out I could have made them.

I made a lace wedding cake this weekend, painted gold and wasn't happy with how the lace came out. (I just used a piece of lace rolled over the fondant for texture) and of course the details weren't deep enough. Once painted, you could hardly tell there was any texture at all...... such a bummer.

Ok, well thanks icon_wink.gif

***Also, for anyone who has used these molds, is it difficult to get clean edges? Do you roll the fondant over the mold and then roll with your pin, then trim before removing? Or do you have to hand-trim each piece with a kraft knife? (nightmare!!) icon_cry.gif I hope not!

You sure can...there's pretty easy too!

There are a number of silicone products available...from two part liquids that you mix and pour, to clay like consistency products you roll out and press over object they allow to sure.

www.chefrubber.com sells these, and I am sure many other sources do.

If you want to make lace pieces, the best way is to saturate the lace piece with white glue, like Elmers, allow it to dry, then mold it.

Try it...you'll get hooked!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:32am
post #3 of 5

You can also go to the website of a company called smooth on in pennsylvania. They make all the mold making products used for hollywood movies and also have a line of food safe silicon molding agents. They are two parts, mix pour, cure play icon_smile.gif

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a site for food safe silicone. I haven't ordered from them yet but I thought it looked like a good source. www.makeyourownmolds.com

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 5

Interesting! I picked up some of the mould stuff ages ago and have never used it. Was wondering about making a bead mould as that's something I think I'd use a lot, and they are so pricy to buy. Any tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%