Fondant Cracked Along Edge Of Cake..how To Fix?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 2:22am by patty5

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 13

Just curious how people do this. Do you rub crisco into the cracks and try to smooth with your fingers? Do you try to smooth it as much as possible with fondant smoothers? What do you do?

I'm anticipating that my chocolate MMF cake will crack all along the edge of the cake, and I want to know what the best way to remedy this is.

TIA!

12 replies
lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 13

I have rubbed with shortening and then go back over it with cornstarch so you dont have a big shiny patch. The cornstarch kind of fills in the holes too, however, I have only done that on white fondant, not sure how you would go with choc!

Why are you anticipating a crack?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 13

As long as you do not knead too much sugar or cornstarch into your fondant, it should not crack...don't let it get too dry.

For emergency cracks (usually in 3D cakes though, not plain round ones) you can use a bit of matching color royal icing to pipe into the crack and then wipe it evenly with your finger to fill in...but I don't use that unless its on a 3D cake and there's enough airbrushing or other details to where it is not obvious. I also use that on box cakes.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #4 of 13

Thanks!

My choc MMF is very pliable, soft and easy to work with at this time. However, I did a practice run with it, and tried to roll it out and cover one of my pans to see what would happen. Well, it rolled out really nice and smooth but when I covered my pan, there were small cracks all along the edge. I'm not sure if it will be different when I'm covering an actual cake, but it's strange that it's so smooth and pliable, yet it cracks along the edge. ???

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 13

thats why most people trim the edges, to hide tears and imperfections.....I know i do

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

thats why most people trim the edges, to hide tears and imperfections.....I know i do

I'm referring to the TOP edge of the cake, not the bottom. You know, the part that drapes down from the top edge of the cake towards the bottom. icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 13

It should not be cracking - at either end! Is this homemade fondant or a purchased one?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

It should not be cracking - at either end! Is this homemade fondant or a purchased one?

Homemade...

Maybe I need to knead in a little more crisco?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 13

I don't knead a lot of shortning into the MMF - just a little. Chocolate is more finicky than the white is for some reason. Are you warming it up some in the microwave before kneading it and rolling it out? (that may help)

And I never use p/s or cornstarch to roll out the fondant that is going to cover a cake, I always use shortning. That also helps keep it from drying out so much too. (use a vinyl mat - lightly grease it with shortning, then roll the fondant on that - lift the entire mat to cover the cake and peel the vinyl mat off) Hope that makes sense.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks Loucinda! I will definitely take your tips into consideration when I go to officially cover my cake. Wish me luck!

Pavakgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pavakgirl Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 13

I have had this happen as well.

One batch I couldn't get right no matter what, I wound up getting new ingredients and making all new MMF.

Main thing is: I have found that the fresher the Pwd. Sugar and marshamallows are, the better the MMF. I used some that were not as fresh and the batch was considerably different. Definitely NOT ingredients to buy and store. I have to buy mine fresh each time I make a cake.

With the super fresh marshamallows and pwd. sugar, I have had no cracking at all!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 1:16am
post #12 of 13

OMG the top is cracking????????????whoa thats not right.......I agree with using crisco on mat instead of poder after this last batch I made.would not let loose from mat about seven dang times grrrrrrrrr....used crisco...badabing off it came.....boy the only time I had fondant crack at the top was on a styrofoam dummy....that was sharp edges...hope someone can help..

patty5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty5 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:22am
post #13 of 13

how thick are you rolling out your fondant? I would think that if you roll out too thick the weight can pull it down & make it tear and if too thin you may get cracks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%