Glace Icing - No Corn Syrup??

Baking By sabbrina Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 5:42am by auntiecake

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know if the Glace Icing will hold it shape and not spread if you leave out the Corn Syrup when making it?

Have any of you ever done this??

Any suggestions or experience would be helpful icon_smile.gif

Thanks,
Sabbrina

7 replies
saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:57am
post #2 of 8

Don't honestly know, but had to say hi to a fellow Sabbrina...even though there are 2 b's icon_wink.gif

Sabrina

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 8

Don't know that answer either but if you want a thicker glace, add more conf sugar. I normally use the glace to flood and then RI to decorate because RI is easier to control the consistency.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 8

Are you trying it because of allergies? No real reason to know, I'm just curious, as my daughter is avoiding corn just now.
I haven't tried the glace, but for many things I replace the corn syrup with honey. Depending on your honey, the glace may darken a little.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 8

You could also use glucose. They are interchangaeble

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #6 of 8

Hey Guys,

Nope, I wasn't asking for any food allergy reasons. I was trying to see if I could make an icing that didn't spread out once piped on the cookie so I could use it for small details.

I know I can use royal icing for that, however I have never made royal icing. I have used glaze on all my cookies so far and really like it. I just don't like the fact that it spreads so much when trying to use it for small details that need to hold their shape icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all the replies,
Sabbrina

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:41am
post #7 of 8

You could use buttercream, add a little meringue powder so it will crust more quickly! Royal icing works also and is easy to make, just be sure you keep it covered.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:42am
post #8 of 8

You could use buttercream, add a little meringue powder so it will crust more quickly! Royal icing works also and is easy to make, just be sure you keep it covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%