Wages For A Cake Decorator?

Decorating By neecerator Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:42am by chocomama

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 3

Hello CC friends!
I'm curious to know what a Cake Decorator hourly rate could or should be. I used to work at a DQ, and am able to make all the cake bases/blanks, and I decorated some.

I teach a beginner cake decorating class, and I can make royal icing flowers, etc. I live in Western PA, which is known for lower wages. I would like to apply at a nice bakery in an upper-scale part of town at a well-known bakery to gain more experience and take my skills up to the next level. If I'm granted an interview I would like to take photos of my cakes as well as some dried Royal Icing flowers.

Would you have any other suggestions that would start me at more than just minimum wage? Or do all new people start at rock bottom wages and work their way up the totem pole?

Any suggestions, advise and constructive criticism are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Neecerator icon_smile.gif

2 replies
11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 3

Let manager to see your cake photos, also if you have a website you can write address to it on your job application.If you won any shows let them know it too. I think you can get $10/hr to start.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 3

I interviewed at a small bakery in Houston a couple of years ago which was located right next to a ritzy country club that did business with the bakery. I asked for $10/hr (part time) and the owner/chef told me that culinary graduates were only getting $7/hr. I hope you have better luck in Pittsburgh. Go Steelers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%