Baking An 18" Sqaure In Home Oven- Help Meeee! :)

Decorating By mariahbakes Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm by SpudCake

mariahbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariahbakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 16

I'm sorry if this belongs in another place...or if it's already been answered...I'm just franticly searching for an answer.

I need an 18" sqaure for Saturday. But! It dosen't fit in my oven. Of course. Does anyone know of any tricks to get it to work or do I need to come up with a different plan?

Thanks!

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 16

4 9" squares will equal one 18" square. So if you have to, you can do it that way. I've heard of people rigging the oven different ways to make the pan fit...turning the rack upside down, etc...so someone may have a better suggestion.

mariahbakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 16

I thought about that....4 different cakes..thank you icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 16

What I meant was, bake all 4 cakes, shave a bit off the edges so you don't have dark parts in the middle of the cake, then stick the 4 together to equal one 18" square. Once it was frosted, no one would know that it was actually 4 pieces stuck together.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 16

people have rigged their doors closed with tin foil and duck tape, not sure how safe it is but poster said it worked (it was a month or 2 ago in the forum)

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 16

Is your 18" square going to be 2 layers?

If so, you could go with 3 - 12" x 18" cakes. Cut 1 in half to make 2 that measure 6" x 18" and then stack them alternately so that the "seam" isn't in the same place on both layers.

Does that make sense?

mariahbakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 16

Yes, two layers. That's a good idea! It's like a puzzle. Lol.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 16

When I bake an 18" in my oven The pan fit but its the rack that is curved that don't allow the pan to set level.
I put four ramekin cups turned upside down with the rack on a lower shelf.
The ramekins lift the pan off the rack far enough to miss the curve and the door shuts fine I bake this all the time.
Hope this idea helps

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 16

Trible D
What a cool idea, Thanks

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 16

I almost posted this same question, but my stinking oven (it's new to me, new house) won't even fit my 14" square. I can close the door, but it hits on all sides. Will this make my sides bake too fast and dry out? Do I have to go to a commercial kitchen to bake it????

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 16

My husband ground off the edges of two sides of my 18" Fat Dadio's pan and it fits perfectly.

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 16

you gals are so lucky that your oven will hold that size. Mine barely closes on the 14".

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

When I bake an 18" in my oven The pan fit but its the rack that is curved that don't allow the pan to set level.
I put four ramekin cups turned upside down with the rack on a lower shelf.
The ramekins lift the pan off the rack far enough to miss the curve and the door shuts fine I bake this all the time.
Hope this idea helps

Can you turn your rack upside down?

mariahbakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #14 of 16

Oooh...thanks all of you! I did turned a smaller pan upside down and put the 18" on top of that. Yay! thumbs_up.gif

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 16

YAY! So glad it worked out for you mariahbakes!

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 16

I know this is too late because you have already baked your cake but I made a wedding cake with an 18inch square bottom. It was from an old Wilton book. The book had me bake to 10's and 2 8's and piece them together cutting the very center out to make them fit. Basically, you overlap in the center and cut that out. Hope that made sense. Anyway, it worked like a charm. I was skeptical but it was perfect.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%