Need A Good Cholate Cake Recipe

Decorating By Barb1959 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm by newmansmom2004

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 9

I have been using the Wilton Chocolate-Chocolate Cake recipe. It is very tasty but it is very dense. Does anyone have a favorite chocolate that would be good for decorating but not real dense.

8 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 9

Several cc member recommended the Epicurious Double Chocolate Layer Cake (you can Google it). I LOVE IT!!! It's now my go to chocolate recipe.

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 9

Deep Dark Mocha Torte from Betty Crocker, here the link
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/deep-dark-mocha-torte
I used it for my niece's b-day. It was a 3 tier cake and the middle one I used this recipe. The only difference is that I first covered the cake with the cream cheese filling then I poured the ganache. Hope this is what you're looking for.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

I use Mrs. Field's Devil's Food Cake recipe from the Mrs. Field's I Love Chocolate! Cookbook. Since it's a copyrighted recipe, I cannot post it here, but if your PM me your email address, I will email it to you.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 9

I have been using the one from the Hershey's can. I think its in the recipe section here....

HTH

Jen

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 9

I made this recipe last week and got RAVE reviews. My husband went so far as to say it was the best cake he has ever eaten!

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/choco-buzz-recipe

kristyokronley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristyokronley Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 9

Look up a fellow CC'er, Heartsfire, her Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes, is AWESOME. My "I don't eat cake" repeat customers LOVE it. Me too!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 9

I love the Chocolate Butter Cake from Smitten Kitchen's blog.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 9

The only chocolate cake I make anymore is the Bourbon Chocolate Cake recipe from Collette Peters. It's AMAZING and so moist!!!

Bourbon Chocolate Cake
Source: Colette's Birthday Cakes

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch salt
1 3/4 cups hot coffee
1/4 cup bourbon
5 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into small pieces
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8- or 9-inch round pans. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Combine the coffee, bourbon, chocolate, and butter in a large covered metal bowl. Let stand until completely melted, then whisk together. Whisk in the sugar and cool. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, then the eggs and the vanilla.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 45 minutes (checking after 30 minutes for even baking) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%