Place To Do Taste Testing

Decorating By Kapelipl Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm by KHalstead

Kapelipl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kapelipl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:20am
post #1 of 4

I'm working on ironing out some details before starting my cake business and have come to an impasse with taste testing. I like the idea of holding tastings once or twice a month, bake for it and get it over with but I can not do this from my home and stay in compliance with my local zoning codes.
Can anyone think of a place that would allow me to hold tastings? It would have to be free or very cheap to begin with because I am not sure how much I will be making (my husband is ironing out some of the financial details).
I have thought of my church - is the an issue with a non-profit allowing a business to use its room? Any other ideas?
If I can't think of anything I will have to visit each person's house individually for a tasting - not enjoying that idea. Or am I just going to have to pay to use a room in some meeting hall? Renting our senior center is sooo expensive (around $300) so I cant go that route.

Any ideas would be great, my creative juices are just not flowing on this one.

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 4

I meet clients at coffee shops for consults.

Kapelipl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kapelipl Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:22am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the idea - I don't go to coffee shops but looks like I may have to start icon_razz.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 4

keep in mind that whatever coffee shop/restaurant that you choose may not like you bringing in outside food (you may want to check with them first)......................however, nobody said your clients have to "taste" the tastings right there in front of you. I give my brides the option to either just pick up samples or have a sit down tasting and since I started offering that, they have all decided to just pick up samples and eat them at home on their own. Then they call me for a sit down consultation to design the cake, and that can be done anywhere (because there is no food involved) that you feel like. I even met one bride at a picnic table by the lake this summer....it was so nice sitting outside and hearing the waves in the background.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%