How To Create A Shimmer Effect???

Decorating By jolie1977 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm by Tee-Y

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 29

I'm looking to make a cake I've seen online and the flowers and fondant covering the cake all have this shimmery look to them... I'm assuming there must be a spray to give that effect? It wouldn't be hand brushed with luster dust or anything like that would it? Can anyone help?

28 replies
diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 29

Maybe it was airbrushed with a mixture of pearl luster dust and vodka (or lemon juice) Can you post a pic?

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 29

Here's a pic of the cake I found on the internet...
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 29

that looks like pearl aribrush spray......you can usually get it anywhere that sells airbrush colors.

here is a cake I did where I used it.
LL

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 29

Beautiful pictures. I love the idea of the cake board being bigger and decorating that with your message instead of putting it on the cake. Wish I had seen that a month ago!

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 29

Tina, that looks exactly like what I'm looking for!!! Do you need different "colors" for the spray or is it a "clear" spray?

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 29

Beautiful cake by the way! Funny that you'd post a lady bug cake because that's my next cake after Tink! ;o) I've been working on a design for the past couple weeks! Great cake!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 29

Does that mean you can only airbrush it to get it to look that way?

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 29

thanks...........nope, it's clear so you just spray it on when the cake is finished. I use it on almost EVERY wedding cake I do too......with white buttercream it just makes it look so silky and then in the sunlight you get that shimmer.. it doesn't always come across too well in photographs though.

I got mine at sugar craft for an 8 oz. bottle it was like 11.00 or something and I've had the bottle for almost 2 yrs. now and I'm only half way through the bottle...it goes really far!

I've even sprayed on grey icing and it gives it a silver appearance.....I love this stuff!

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1959

Beautiful pictures. I love the idea of the cake board being bigger and decorating that with your message instead of putting it on the cake. Wish I had seen that a month ago!

thanks, it was supposed to look like the lady bug was on a leaf but it didn't really turn out that way........the lady wanted a 12" round for the lady bug....big ol' bug! lol

LULABEL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #11 of 29

So you don't have to have an airbrush to use it??

LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 29

I'm am confused icon_eek.gif . . . . so you don't have to have an airbrush to use it or you do???

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 29

I think that what Tina was talking about is the kind that you use with an airbrush. You can paint it on with a paintbrush but it's not as sheer and you go through it a lot faster (I bought my bottle three months ago and it's more than half gone).

Here's a pearl spray http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=pearl+spray I haven't tried it but it should give that sheer shimmer effect without an airbrush.

LULABEL Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #14 of 29

Thank you Texas_Rose . . . . sorry for the double post icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 29

the kind I use is for an airbrush and I use it with an airbrush and it goes really far...............I'm sure you could just brush it on if you wanted to, but it would probably be kinda streaky I would think

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 29

This is what it looks like when it's painted on:

It takes a little practice...you can't go over the same spot twice unless it's totally dry, or it will get streaky. I wouldn't be putting it on with a paintbrush if I had the $$$ for an airbrush icon_biggrin.gif but I like the look of it better than pearl dust mixed with vodka.

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 29

wow, that sillhouette is stunning!!! How have I never seen this cake before......just gorgeous!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 29

Thank you! I used cookie cutters for the silhouette.

jolie1977 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 29

That's something I can only dream of getting for now... an airbrush... but in the meantime, that "Lustre Spray Pearl by PME" posted by Texax_Rose should do a similar job? Sounds easier than hand brushing too... but I spraying might be tricky, I've never done it before...

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #20 of 29

Texas_Rose, how did you cut out the sillhouette? Do you have the pattern? I sure wish I had a copy (yeah I am begging) lol

KHalstead Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #21 of 29

cookie cutter?? Never seen those before, where did you buy them?

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Texas_Rose, how did you cut out the sillhouette? Do you have the pattern? I sure wish I had a copy (yeah I am begging) lol

I used these: http://confectionery-house.amazonwebstore.com/Bride-And-Groom-Metal-Cookie-Cutter/M/B00086IDLO.htm

Looking at them, my daughter must have squeezed the groom a bit icon_biggrin.gif because my groom cutter was skinnier. My sister bought the cutters at a cake supply shop in Austin. It was for my parents' 40th anniversary.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 29

Thanks, I will order them, I wish I could afford the air-brush also maybe Santa can hear me. Your daughter was trying to help lol
Your cake is awesome, you do great with handpainting

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 29

Texas rose that silhouette is stunning!!!! Can you please post a template?Ple-e-a--se!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:15pm
post #25 of 29

LOL...I wish Santa was bringing me an air brush too. Santa's bringing the kids their stuff and paying the electric bill though icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif and hopefully I'll get an airbrush when we get our tax refund in February...was going to get one this year but I broke my leg and my share of the tax refund went to medical stuff.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Texas rose that silhouette is stunning!!!! Can you please post a template?Ple-e-a--se!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

It was cookie cutters, not a template. I could try tracing them I guess.

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 29

lol I only have 1 child and she is grown and gone so Santa only has me to worry about, dh can wait till next yr for a toy lol

tatorchip Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolie1977

That's something I can only dream of getting for now... an airbrush... but in the meantime, that "Lustre Spray Pearl by PME" posted by Texax_Rose should do a similar job? Sounds easier than hand brushing too... but I spraying might be tricky, I've never done it before...

Practice on a cardboard box that has some bc icing on it HTH

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

It was cookie cutters, not a template. I could try tracing them I guess.

I knew you'ld know what I mean! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif .A tracing is just perfect! Thank you so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%