Wilton Cake Decorating Classes

Decorating By Ashlynn Updated 11 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm by ksmith1012

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 16

I'm a cake decorating newbie. I decided to sign up for the Wilton Cake decorating class course at Michaels that starts next month. Has anyone taken it and did you like it? Any tips?

Thanks a bunch! Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

15 replies
lckyforme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lckyforme Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 16

I have take 1-3 and really liked them. The first class was pretty busy because we had to have a cake each week. I have learned a lot and look forward to taking fondant adn gumpaste. I don't have the nerve to post it here with all of the professional cakers here, but everyone at work LOVED them and my tiered cake was beautiful. Take the class, you'll love it!!

CrankyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrankyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 16

I took the classes but stopped at the second level. It became easier to just teach myself (and I was starting culinary school). They helped a lot and definitely got me started decorating. You learn a lot of basics that you can build on. The only thing I wish was different was the fondant class, when I took it the class was only one sitting. Definitely left you wanting more. Have fun and Good luck!

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 16

Ashlynn where in Ohio are you taking your classes?

AnnaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnaJo Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 16

I took all 4 classes I loved it I had fun and it got me going. Now if I don't make a cake every week I feel lost. icon_razz.gif If you like baking you enjoy the classes.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 16

Hi AnnaJo, I'm from VaBch, too!
I took Courses 2-4, some of it was review for me as I took a Wilton course back when there was only one course at JCPenneys. I enjoyed the review, plus, fondant and gumpaste were not available to the masses back when I first took a class. I also learned some flowers and new techniques with BC.

kseevers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kseevers Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:10am
post #7 of 16

I have taken all the classes. I loved it. Some of the things I could have taught myself, but it was also a few things to get out of the house once a week and go do. At the time I loved cake decorating and now it is a business. I think it was a great start off point. I know I have learned SO much since, but like I said a great hands on starting point.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:26am
post #8 of 16

I've only taken 1 and 4 so far, but I am going to start 2 next week and probably 3 the month after. I've really enjoyed it, but don't expect to learn everything you need to know in them. I'm sort of a perfectionist and I didn't get all of the tips from my instructor that I would have liked on how to improve what I was doing. Part of that was because some of my classmates were disruptive and left us with not enough time. A lot of it I could have taught myself, but like the other girl said, it's really nice to get out of the house once a week to be around people who are learning the same stuff as you. It's a lot of fun and I think you'll like it.

soonerfan1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soonerfan1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 16

I love the courses. I am currently finishing up course IV tomorrow night. They have been helpful and now I hopefully soon will be a Wilton instructor at Michaels.

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 16

Ickyforme: In the galleries there is a section for cakes you completed from your cake decorating classes. Don't feel like you shouldn't post. It is fun to see everyone's first cakes![/quote]

Ashlynn Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #11 of 16

taygetta I'm taking them in Dayton starting Oct 6th. I can't wait to start icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:20am
post #12 of 16

You'll really enjoy them! They are great classes!

taygetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taygetta Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #13 of 16

Awesome!!! I teach at the Huber Heights Hobby Lobby. The courses are a great jumping point for a beginner! Have fun!

Ashlynn Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #14 of 16

So I had my first class last Wed and I just wanted to say that I loved it. I can't wait until my second class icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlynn

So I had my first class last Wed and I just wanted to say that I loved it. I can't wait until my second class icon_smile.gif

I knew you'd like it!! icon_biggrin.gif

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 16

They are a great starting point. Like other members have said, some of it you can teach yourself- but there are other tips you learn that you may not otherwise. I'm in Ohio- Im taking mine in Pickerington. I've taken 1 & 2, currently in Fondant & Gumpaste and will be in course 3 next month. I've really enjoyed them and once you get past course 1, most of the students are more serious about decorating so you tend to get more out of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%